Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

MX 15/16 Mate

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
v3g4n

MX 15/16 Mate

#1 Post by v3g4n »

Been using Mate 1.16 from Stevo's OBS repo for a few weeks now and it's been great. If one decided to try it I would encourage you to use a Gtk theme that supports both Gtk2 and Gtk3 for best experience. Arc is one of those themes and looks great. I'm sure there are many more. If anyone else tests it out would love to hear your experience. Thanks Stevo for providing this excellent upgrade! :number1:

viewtopic.php?p=392909#p392909

artorix

Re: MX 15/16 Mate

#2 Post by artorix »

hi
interessing :)
Mate possed fast devloppment (no xfce, i think), and is most compatible with modern "graphical" technologies (Mesa, GTK3 of course, wayland...)
this "middle-old-environment" is the future on the day?
i don't no :happy:
MX 16 xfce
je parle français (because i dont speak english)
GNU-addict infidèle...

KBD

#3 Post by KBD »

old thread but thought I would chime in. using MATE 1.16.1 right now on Stretch. I'm using greenlaguna theme which looks good to me, along with MATE faenza icons. Both the desktop and Debian 9 are very solid. I still lean a bit more toward KDE and Xfce but MATE is a nice full featured DE.

Stevo
Developer

#4 Post by Stevo »

Yeah, I went ahead and added MATE 16.1 for our own repos.

KBD

#5 Post by KBD »

Stevo wrote:Yeah, I went ahead and added MATE 16.1 for our own repos.
Nice. Thanks!

Stevo
Developer

#6 Post by Stevo »

I built the all-GTK 3 MATE 1.18 in another OBS repo and upgraded 1.16 to it...it seems to be fine with the theme I was using. I suppose themes that need a newer GTK 3 will not work well.

https://software.opensuse.org//download ... nvironment

I can build an interdependent set of packages like this much faster in the OBS, since I don't have to build them in a particular order like I have to on a local build--I just shovel them in and the OBS sorts them out automatically. Though the PPA I sourced these from had debhelper 9 as the build depend, the rules files actually require debhelper 10. For the first failures, I fixed the rules files until I wised up and just put debhelper 10 into the repo. That's one thing that needs attention when this gets rebuilt for the MX repo.

KBD

#7 Post by KBD »

Thanks for your hard work!

Stevo
Developer

#8 Post by Stevo »

I was asked on the Debian forum whether the Jessie version of 1.18 in the OBS would work with Stretch. In a Live session of antiX 17 alpha, I installed the mate-desktop-environment metapackage from Stretch to pull in MATE, then removed the metapackage. I then did a full update, installed aptitude, added my OBS repo, and did

Code: Select all

# aptitude dist-upgrade
It upgraded everything, except it had to remove the MATE "marco" window manager, since it depended on a libgtop2-7 only found in Jessie. However, when I then logged out and then back into a MATE session, apparently it fell back onto one of the other window managers that came with antiX, and MATE seemed to look and work fine in a brief run-through. I suppose the marco packages could also just be rebuilt from the debianized source on the users own Stretch machine if they really wanted to get it up with the rest of MATE.

KBD

#9 Post by KBD »

Good work. Nice to know this can work with Stretch.

Stevo
Developer

#10 Post by Stevo »

Now that the OBS has added Stretch as a build option, I have a Stretch repo for MATE 1.18, too, generated from the same source files as the Jessie backports. See post 6 in this thread. I did a test install on antiX 17 alpha, and it went fine, though you get more if you use --install-recommends on the command line or set Synaptic to install those by default. I didn't get any of those wallpaper-changing issues that were plaguing Stretch 1.16 users for the last few weeks (though that was just fixed by Debian, too).

Return to “MX Modified”