Systemback (Stevo for President!)

anticapitalista
Developer

Re: Systemback (Stevo for President!)

#11 Post by anticapitalista »

The snapshot tool in antiX (and now MX) is heavily adapted from the refracta scripts (hence its name). We adapted it since our live boot is not the same as Debian's, nor Ubuntu's, it is 'ours' and it needed changes.

Which is better? I have never tried Systemback (I assumed it was only for Ubuntu and their casper live system).
Why not try them both and decide and let us know.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

BitJam
Developer

#12 Post by BitJam »

Ninja'ed by anticapitalista. So I deleted the overlap.

I really don't know which one is better. Perhaps the devs might want to consider merging the two projects since they are doing very similar things.

Over in antiX-land there have been discussions of combining this functionality with the functionality of antix2usb. The mechanics are all very similar. They are all making copies of a system. The only differences are the selection of input and the output:

Code: Select all

Inputs                  Outputs
    ------                  -------
    installed system        iso file
    Live system             LiveUSB
    iso file                backup
    backup
A user should be able to select any of the input sources (that are available) and from it create any of the outputs. Of course it doesn't make much sense to create an iso file from an iso file or a backup from a backup. The snapshot and systemback programs connect some of the inputs to some of the outputs while the antix2usb makes other connections. We really should connect all we can. Anything less imposes arbitrary and unintuitive limitations.

joany

#13 Post by joany »

GuiGuy wrote:I had not realised that "snapshot" was actually a remastering tool (unfortunate choice of title?).
What is the difference between refracta-snapshot and snapshot tool ?
And does anybody know whether systemback is better than snapshot tool ?
This was news to me also. It's great that remastering available as a standard tool. I'm still wondering about the installer. Although it's nice to have a bootable .iso of your system, being able to install a remastered version on a HDD would be a huge plus.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

anticapitalista
Developer

#14 Post by anticapitalista »

At the moment, once user has created a snapshot.iso it can be installed via the cli-installer. It is not yet in the gui-installer.

The cli-installer is basic, but it gets the job done. You are asked if the install is a remastered/snapshot and you must answer yes.

Note, if user installs propritary graphics, they are disabled on the snapshot.iso
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#15 Post by dolphin_oracle »

with antix, the cli-installer is able to install antix-snapshot iso's. The cli-installer is no-frills, but its there. I don't know if its included or even works with MX though. I used it in my video series on building a custom antix system (with xfce strangely) using antix-core.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

GuiGuy

#16 Post by GuiGuy »

dolphin_oracle wrote:........... I don't know if its included or even works with MX though. ,,,,,,,,,,,.
cli-installer-mx seems to be included in MX.
Don't know if it works, or even how to run it.

anticapitalista
Developer

#17 Post by anticapitalista »

GuiGuy wrote:
dolphin_oracle wrote:........... I don't know if its included or even works with MX though. ,,,,,,,,,,,.
cli-installer-mx seems to be included in MX.
Don't know if it works, or even how to run it.
It is in the live boot menu as ... wait for it ... drum roll etc

Command Line Install.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#18 Post by dolphin_oracle »

if its there, then the command is

"cli-installer" as root.

So you use antix2usb or unetbootin to make a bootable liveUSB (or burn a disk) of your snapshot iso, and run the "cli-installer" as root from the live session.

Its not as polished as the gui-installer, but it will install an antix-snapshot iso.

***edit*** ninja'd by anti.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

GuiGuy

#19 Post by GuiGuy »

anticapitalista wrote:It is in the live boot menu as ... wait for it ... drum roll etc

Command Line Install.
Thanks, Anti.
I was trying to run it from my installed system :footinmouth:

Edit:-
I am still confused: if I put the snapshot.iso onto a DVD and live-boot from it, it will not offer a gui installer but it will offer a CLI installer ?
Last edited by GuiGuy on Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stevo
Developer

#20 Post by Stevo »

I was running francofait's MX-KDE Systemback remaster off a unetbootin USB to check it out. There's a Systemback launcher in the taskbar that comes up with the installer dialog right away, though I didn't run it. As well as making complete backups/ remasters, it also does system restore points, as in Windows or the Timeshift program in the CR.

The program is written in gambas, which is some kind of GAM Basic...i.e. text files that get run by the gambas interpreter. It did require a backport of gambas3 from Jessie to work, though.

Return to “MX Repositories”