MX-14 beta 2

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

Re: MX-14 beta 2

#341 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Just discovered.. Menu-multimedia-codecs.

:number1:
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

arjaybe

#342 Post by arjaybe »

golinuxgo wrote:
BitJam wrote:GKrellM is a system monitor like Conky. Perhaps it is showing its age but it is usually one of the very first apps I install because without it it feels like I'm flying blind.

It has plenty of other tricks. I've attached a small tarball that contains 3 slightly different invisible themes. I have almost 200 themes installed but I much prefer the invisible themes because they work well with almost any bg image.
I also find gkrellm useful. Not for the moonphase but for the reminder plugin. Events can be set for every x number of days (not just weekly, monthly etc), plays music as a reminder (in addition to a popup) and you can reset the reminder for x hours later on the fly to keep reminding you until it gets done. It's a very pleasant nag. Thanks for the transparent themes.

*edit* The transparent themes you posted are not transparent here. Are they transparent only for the moonclock?
The transparent themes don't work in KDE. I wish they did. GkrellM is one of the first things I install in a new system, so I'm glad to hear that the transparency works in MX-14.
Green Comet
Space particles.

richb
Administrator

#343 Post by richb »

arjaybe wrote:
The transparent themes don't work in KDE. I wish they did. GkrellM is one of the first things I install in a new system, so I'm glad to hear that the transparency works in MX-14.
Because of that it looks out of place in KDE. The native widgets look much better. I will have to try it in MX.

EDIT: Yes looks much better in MX with transparency.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

entropyfoe

Re:GParted in MX-14 beta 2 wouldn't load

#344 Post by entropyfoe »

OK, a bit more research on partitioning my old PATA drive.
I booted Puppy Live CD (old 5.4.3 I think) and I was able to run GParted. I made a traditional ext3, swap, ext3 partition scheme for /, swap and /home.

Not sure why GParted locked with MX-14. But now I have a correctly partitioned disk, and I will try an install or MX-14 on that drive. Will report later.
-Jay

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Earlier post
The beta2 booted into a live session (beta 1 did not) on my old A7N8X mother board.
OK, so I found an old PATA drive in the parts bin and installed it so I could install MX-14.
This old machine has a working XP installation on a SATA drive that I have disconnected the power on so it is undisturbed.
From the live session, I can see the new PATA drive and access the files. But I cannot launch GParted to repartition the drive.
I supply root credentials an d everything locks up, no mouse cursor nothing works until I Ctrl Shift SysRq REISUB.
So, then I tried to install, thinking I could partition as part of the install, but when I get to the part to modify partitions, same lock up.
Any ideas what to try?
Has anyone used GParted from the beta2 live session?

-Jay
Asus PRIME X470-PRO
AMD Ryzen 3600X (12 threads @ 3.8 GHz)
32 Gig DDR4 3600 (Crucial CL 16)
Nvidia GeForce GT 710
Samsung 970 NVMe nvme0n1 P1-3=MX-23, P4=testing
Samsung 980 NVMe =1TB Data, plus 2TB WD =backups
on-board ethernet & sound

BitJam
Developer

#345 Post by BitJam »

golinuxgo wrote:*edit* The transparent themes you posted are not transparent here (on refracta xfce). Are they transparent only for the moonclock?
The transparency is for the entire gkrellm, but only if you don't use a compositor.

IIUC there is a general conflict between psuedo transparency and compositing. Some years ago there was also a conflict between tearing video and compositing (at least with Nvidia drivers) so I choose to go with an non-compositing desktop since non-tearing video playback was high on my priority list while wobbly windows, not so much.

If you are using a compositor then true transparency should be available, where you can see other windows behind a transparent window. TBH, I think I like visual effect of pseudo-transparency better, otherwise the bg in the transparent window gets too noisy. For example, I tend to use only dark bg images but many windows have light backgrounds.

golinuxgo

#346 Post by golinuxgo »

BitJam wrote:
golinuxgo wrote:*edit* The transparent themes you posted are not transparent here (on refracta xfce). Are they transparent only for the moonclock?
The transparency is for the entire gkrellm, but only if you don't use a compositor.

IIUC there is a general conflict between psuedo transparency and compositing. Some years ago there was also a conflict between tearing video and compositing (at least with Nvidia drivers) so I choose to go with an non-compositing desktop since non-tearing video playback was high on my priority list while wobbly windows, not so much.

If you are using a compositor then true transparency should be available, where you can see other windows behind a transparent window. TBH, I think I like visual effect of pseudo-transparency better, otherwise the bg in the transparent window gets too noisy. For example, I tend to use only dark bg images but many windows have light backgrounds.
Ah! That explains it. Once I got the nvidia driver working, I enabled XFCE's simple compositor because I like transparency when I move windows. I'll look at your themes and try to tweak them a bit - I'm usually pretty good at that kind of thing. (Unless you take it on first!) :D

*Edit* OK I just disabled XFCE compositing and the transparency still didn't display. :( It would have been a nice option . . .

(That's the way life is.)

BitJam
Developer

#347 Post by BitJam »

golinuxgo wrote:Ah! That explains it. Once I got the nvidia driver working, I enabled XFCE's simple compositor because I like transparency when I move windows. I'll look at your themes and try to tweak them a bit - I'm usually pretty good at that kind of thing. (Unless you take it on first!) :D
I don't think tweaking the themes will help with transparency when a compositor is being used.

This page: http://www.muhri.net/gkrellm/ has a link to a tarball with almost 200 themes in it. If you want to go non-transparent then their tarball contains a bunch of good starting points.

AFAIK, you need to give up pseudo-transparency when you use a compositor. You can't just tweak the pseudo-transparent apps. I'd love for you to prove me wrong.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#348 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Just a big thankyou to the person who got Lbreakout2 to be in the games. Just discovered it was there :happy:
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

Jerry3904
Administrator

#349 Post by Jerry3904 »

me, me, me

Did you try Chromium BSU?
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

anticapitalista
Developer

#350 Post by anticapitalista »

But you nicked it from antiX :) We have had it for several releases.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Return to “Older Versions”