kmail ? for the kde gurus and a /home ?

Help on all MX Re-spins
whbr

kmail ? for the kde gurus and a /home ?

#1 Post by whbr »

I just installed mx-14 (up from M-12) on my office computer (went well) and am tweaking it to get things the (old fashioned) way I like them. I keep all of my user data in a separate partition so that is always safe. On my previous install I kept all of my KMail folders in a non-standard location (/home/mark/MAIL). This is mostly for purposes of making it easy to set up daily backups which I know isn't really necessary but that is how I set it up. I don't recall how I got Kmail to go there for the mail folders and am not having any luck finding a solution. I could just import each of the mailboxes but there are a fair few of them and I rather just point the client to there current location. I have copied the kmail config files from the previous install to their respective locations on the new and they do not seem to be recognized. I could just set the whole thing up again but don't think I should need to. Any thoughts?

Related to the above problem: I think I made a tactical error with /home on this install. I keep my /home directories on a separate partition and during the install I used the same user name and let the installer rename the old /home/user. As it happens if I try to boot into M-12 it is now getting data from the config files in the new MX-14 install in effect orphaning all my M-12 config data. I've been using MX-14 on my laptop for quite a while and really like it so the plan was just to get everything moved over to MX-14 and let go of the old mepis installs. In the short term however I'm going to wish I had easy access to M-12 and currently don't. Any thoughts? Thanks, Mark
Dell Inspiron 15, series 5000
MX-16.1
DM KDE 4.14.2

joany

Re: kmail ? for the kde gurus and a /home ?

#2 Post by joany »

I probably shouldn't be answering your kmail question because I don't use it, preferring Thunderbird instead. But here goes:

When you say there are a "fair few" mailboxes, are you referring to different email accounts or different folders where things are saved under the same account?

I believe there's a ~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc file (or something similar) that specifies where the mail folders are at under [General]. Also, when you initially set up your email account(s) in kmail, there should have been a step where you specified where the folders are located. It should look something like this:

Code: Select all

[General]
filters=0
first-start=false
folders[$e]=$HOME/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail
messagetags=3
popfilters=0
popshowDLmsgs=false
previous-version=1.13.7
As far as your M12 /home directory being orphaned, it seems perfectly logical to me if you allowed the MX-14 installer overwrite it. That could have been avoided by using a different partition for /home or possibly a different user name under the existing /home.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

whbr

Re: kmail ? for the kde gurus and a /home ?

#3 Post by whbr »

Thanks. That helped. I has looked at the kmail.rc but didn't find where it set the base directory - didn't drill deep enough in to fine the [general] section. I only have two mail accounts but they serve several businesses and I have in, sent, etc mailboxes for each, hence about 30 mailboxes that I maintain. I didn't allow the installer to overwrite it, rather rename it. It is still there under a new name. What I'm having trouble doing is reattaching M-12 to this /home directory.
Dell Inspiron 15, series 5000
MX-16.1
DM KDE 4.14.2

Return to “MX Respins”