Help on all MX Re-spins
Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: Please review new KDE on MX section

#21 Post by Jerry3904 »

Danum wrote:Edited the how to to read, which will be posted later today,
The options for installing KDE4 using MX package Installer are
kde-standard package, A debian selection of common applications
kde-lite package, This is a minimalist plasma desktop install. You have to install all end-user applications later.(this is not recommended for newbies to KDE4)

The options for installing KDE4 using Synaptic are,
kde-full, package, The standard/upstream Debian release
kde-standard, package A debian selection of common applications
kde-plasma-desktop, package. This is a minimalist plasma desktop install. You have to install all end-user applications later.(this is not recommended for newbies to KDE4)
kde-plasma-netbook, package. This is a minimalist plasma netbook install. You have to install all end-user applications later.(this is not recommended for newbies To KDE4)
(kde-plasma-netbook also makes the Search & Launch Desktop available in a kde-standard and kde-plasma-desktop install)
That looks good, though I will probably retain my table format.

BTW to all: I will be editing tonight for the last time.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

lucky9

#22 Post by lucky9 »

I would not be sure what specific KDE package in Synaptic would need to use the technique you suggest for recommends and suggested for the Lite version. Perhaps someone else does.
Gwenview is a case in point. kipi-plugins enable a host of manipulations that most would want. And they are not installed as dependencies.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

richb
Administrator

#23 Post by richb »

lucky9 wrote:
I would not be sure what specific KDE package in Synaptic would need to use the technique you suggest for recommends and suggested for the Lite version. Perhaps someone else does.
Gwenview is a case in point. kipi-plugins enable a host of manipulations that most would want. And they are not installed as dependencies.
Yes and how many others and which ones? Hard to judge users want. If anything this would need to be done on a package like kdebase or one of the other base kde install candidates. I installed KDE standard via MX Tools. I looked at kde-full in Synaptic and many more apps would be installed most of which I am not all that sure users need. But I am not opposed to that procedure being added. But if so, it needs to be a very general statement, in my opinion.

This section can become a manual in itself if we are not careful. Not every customization that can be made is detailed. I can think of many other things people may want, like a root services menu. The goal is to have something that will result in a fully functioning KDE installation. And I believe this accomplishes that.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

lucky9

#24 Post by lucky9 »

Per installing generally, a lot of people are completely new to Linux and a mere mention of dependencies, recommendations, suggestions might be in order. A lot of people appear to not even know there are such things as recommendations or suggestions and what they do. Not in the KDE section, but in the installing software section.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Jerry3904
Administrator

#25 Post by Jerry3904 »

5.1.2 -- paragraph on dependencies
5.3.1 and Figure 66 -- recommendeds and suggesteds
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Danum

#26 Post by Danum »

richb wrote:
Utopia wrote:
I guess I do not fully understand
I meant that after installing KDE, people should check that they have all the packages needed. You get a very basic kde with limited capabilities unless you get recommended and suggested for your most used apps.
This was meant for newbies.
Henry
Understand. Perhaps more clarity should be added regarding the versions. KDE standard gives quite a full KDE version. I used the guide to install the standard version and have a "full" KDE install. Beyond that specific packages one may want, like Gimp are totally up to the user as is the case in most KDE distros.

KDE Lite is the basic version, but I assumed people who choose that have an understanding of what additional packages may need to be installed.

You do not enable recommends in Synaptic, you start editing,
/etc/ apt/apt.config.d/ Synaptic
which reads,
APT:: Install-Recomends "false"
and the main trouble with that is it will effect xfce4 installs as well. if you change false to true.
Desktop.
Zalman Z11 Plus ATX PC Tower, AMD FX 8350 Black Edition Vishera, 8 Core 4.4 GHz, Kingston HyperX FURY Red 16GB, Nvidia GT740 Graphics, Pioneer BDR-209EBK Writer, 2 x Seagate 1TB SSHD SATA Hybrid Hard Drives. ASUS VS278Q 27 inch HD Monitor

richb
Administrator

#27 Post by richb »

Right clicking a package in Synaptic, shows recommends and suggested. That is what I was referring to.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

anticapitalista
Developer

#28 Post by anticapitalista »

I have some reservations.

It is brilliant that people have posted their knowledge and experience of KDE4 and how it can be grafted onto MX. So kudos where it is due.

However, MX is designed as an Xfce distro. So, adding KDE to it and then making it the default should not really be considered a 'one-click' for noobs operation. Sure, we can make it as easy as possible, but I think we should also make it clear that user intervention and some knowledge is needed.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Utopia
Administrator

#29 Post by Utopia »

Couldn't see kdm mentioned. Wasn't there a difference between synaptic and the MX package installer? You couldn't get kdm through the MX package installer because you had to say yes, or is that fixed now?
Henry

kmathern
Developer

#30 Post by kmathern »

Utopia wrote:Couldn't see kdm mentioned. Wasn't there a difference between synaptic and the MX package installer? You couldn't get kdm through the MX package installer because you had to say yes, or is that fixed now?
Henry
If you read m_pav's post: http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 50#p360950, it sounds like you shouldn't install kdm anyway.

Return to “MX Respins”