Very Large File Having An Unknown Purpose

Help on all MX Re-spins
joany

Very Large File Having An Unknown Purpose

#1 Post by joany »

My my /home directory was growing quite large over time. Using K4DirStat, I was able to identify a large file ~/.kde/share/apps/nepomuk/repository/main/data/vituosobackend/soprano-virtuoso.db that was buried on the HDD. After deleting that file and restarting the system, my /home directory was reduced from over 1900 MB down to 1600 MB. The system did recreat soprano-virtuoso.deb, but it's only 8 MB ATM. (It's not like I'm running out of space on the HDD, but saving 300 MB is a welcome improvement when making backups to /home.)

I believe nepomuk has something to do with file indexing, which enables content searches within files and directories. The search function doesn't seem to be affected, so I'm wondering what the purpose of soprano-virtuoso.db actually is. Any ideas?

EDIT:
I'm kind of tempted to render soprano-virtuoso.db immutable, which would prevent its growth. But I want to make sure it's not performing some vital function.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

richb
Administrator

Re: Very Large File Having An Unknown Purpose

#2 Post by richb »

It is the database nepomuk creates for file name and content searches. It is a common complaint that the db grows eating space. You can turn it off in System settings.

EDIT: Later versions of KDE do not have the file and do not suffer from the same space usage.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

joany

#3 Post by joany »

richb wrote:It is the database nepomuk creates for file name and content searches. It is a common complaint that the db grows eating space. You can turn it off in System settings.

EDIT: Later versions of KDE do not have the file and do not suffer from the same space usage.
Disabling nepomuk in System Settings seems like a good plan. (I'm looking forward to one of those later versions of KDE being available for MX.)
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Stevo
Developer

#4 Post by Stevo »

MX 15 on the Jessie base should have KDE 4.14.2 available--I'm using it in a Jessie VM, and it's very much like the Wheezy version--no new plasma widgets as part of the stock install, no new desktop effects, and so on. I'm sure there are lots of changes under the hood. I do notice that Dolphin has dropped its menu and added a dropdown equivalent as is the fashion, labeled "Control".

richb
Administrator

#5 Post by richb »

Stevo wrote:MX 15 on the Jessie base should have KDE 4.14.2 available--I'm using it in a Jessie VM, and it's very much like the Wheezy version--no new plasma widgets as part of the stock install, no new desktop effects, and so on. I'm sure there are lots of changes under the hood. I do notice that Dolphin has dropped its menu and added a dropdown equivalent as is the fashion, labeled "Control".
Significant under the hood changes.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Danum

#6 Post by Danum »

richb wrote:
Stevo wrote:MX 15 on the Jessie base should have KDE 4.14.2 available--I'm using it in a Jessie VM, and it's very much like the Wheezy version--no new plasma widgets as part of the stock install, no new desktop effects, and so on. I'm sure there are lots of changes under the hood. I do notice that Dolphin has dropped its menu and added a dropdown equivalent as is the fashion, labeled "Control".
Significant under the hood changes.
Nepomuk is no longer used for search, from 4.13 on baloo is used,
a new addition is "plasma-widget-milou", for searching,
Below is from a newly installed MC-KDE iso,
About-system is not in the Debian repos.
Desktop.
Zalman Z11 Plus ATX PC Tower, AMD FX 8350 Black Edition Vishera, 8 Core 4.4 GHz, Kingston HyperX FURY Red 16GB, Nvidia GT740 Graphics, Pioneer BDR-209EBK Writer, 2 x Seagate 1TB SSHD SATA Hybrid Hard Drives. ASUS VS278Q 27 inch HD Monitor

Return to “MX Respins”