Iceweasel - sound stopped working

Help on all MX Re-spins
kmathern
Developer

Re: Iceweasel - sound stopped working

#11 Post by kmathern »

You might try the .pulse-volicon-cheat.sh script in the manual, in Subsection 3.6.3
(http://www.mepiscommunity.org/user_manu ... ection-3.6 -- scroll down to subsection 3.6.3)

It makes sure that the volume control widget (volumeicon) is started after pulseaudio.

The manual is still a beta and there are some minor errors in it's script, it should be as shown below:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
 pulseaudio --start
 sleep 2
 volumeicon &
 exit 0

Also there's a firefox extension (which should also work with iceweasel) that will play Youtube videos using HTML5 instead of using flash:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... o/?src=api

joany

#12 Post by joany »

kmathern wrote: Also there's a firefox extension (which should also work with iceweasel) that will play Youtube videos using HTML5 instead of using flash:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... o/?src=api
Thanks for the info about the "YouTube HTML5 Video" extension. There's something strange about it, however. When I play a YouTube video with the the "Prefer HTML5" box checked, pausing the video only stops the video while the sound keeps playing (I can't stop the sound). What's up with that??
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

kmathern
Developer

#13 Post by kmathern »

joany wrote:Thanks for the info about the "YouTube HTML5 Video" extension. There's something strange about it, however. When I play a YouTube video with the the "Prefer HTML5" box checked, pausing the video only stops the video while the sound keeps playing (I can't stop the sound). What's up with that??
Don't know. I haven't had any problems with it. Video & audio stop and start at the same time for me.

edit: just noticed that I do not have the "Prefer HTML5" box checked here. Youtube videos still play using HTML5.

Topher

#14 Post by Topher »

If I install pulseaudio, do I need to uninstall something else so there are no conflicts?

kmathern
Developer

#15 Post by kmathern »

Topher wrote:If I install pulseaudio, do I need to uninstall something else so there are no conflicts?
Oh, I thought pulseaudio was already installed. Maybe leave it uninstalled for the time being.

You could try that HTML5 extension though.

Stevo
Developer

#16 Post by Stevo »

You have sound working in a Flash video on another site, so I doubt it's a Flash issue. It seems to be Youtube-specific. I assume you crank the volume setting up at the bottom of the embedded video on Youtube...

I never needed an extension to switch Youtube to HTML 5, either. Youtube has a page where you can set your preference for that.

Topher

#17 Post by Topher »

:bagoverhead:
I assume you crank the volume setting up at the bottom of the embedded video on Youtube...
:bagoverhead: It's always the simplest easily overlooked things that make you look stoooped.

Stevo
Developer

#18 Post by Stevo »

So, this thread can be marked [SOLVED]? :p

Topher

#19 Post by Topher »

Yes it is solved. :lipsrsealed: very red faced

Return to “MX Respins”