Iceweasel - sound stopped working

Help on all MX Re-spins
Topher

Iceweasel - sound stopped working

#1 Post by Topher »

I am using MX-14-2 with KDE. Yesterday Iceweasel was upgraded to 31.5.0 along with some other stuff and everything was working OK until about an hour ago. Today I was listening to some clips from BigGeekDaddy.com when my sound quit working. I can play DVD's with no problem and can use Chromium to listen to that site and the sound works fine. I am not sure why it quit with Iceweasel and am asking if anyone else has seen the same problem. My wife has Iceweasel 31.4.0 and her sound still works. How do I roll back to that version?

joany

Re: Iceweasel - sound stopped working

#2 Post by joany »

I'm sorry I can't help you with installing an earlier version of Iceweasel, but here's a link that may provide a solution to the sound problem you are having with the flash plugin with the current version:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... 175516194/
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Topher

#3 Post by Topher »

Well I either didn't do that correctly, or it just didn't work for me. I put that file on my /home directory, is that where it was supposed to go?
I did find this on the internet:
Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR) 31.5.0
Firefox ESR is intended for groups who deploy and maintain the desktop environment in large organisations such as universities and other schools, county or city governments and businesses. This version is not intended for individual users who always want the latest features, performance enhancements and technologies in their browser without waiting for them to become available in ESR several development cycles later.

joany

#4 Post by joany »

Topher wrote:Well I either didn't do that correctly, or it just didn't work for me. I put that file on my /home directory, is that where it was supposed to go?
My interpretation is the file should go in /home/username/ and not just /home.

Also, you may have to log out and log back in for the change to take effect.

EDIT:
In addition to the above, I found a thread on a different forum saying that after updating Iceweasel, the PCM slider switch in Sound Settings was inexplicably reset to zero, so you might want to check that. (Whenever I have sound problems, the first thing I do is check the Sound Settings.)
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Topher

#5 Post by Topher »

Yes, i did have the file in the correct directory. But i had to delete it as it stopped Chromium from having sound. I did check the settings and they all look to be on and set close to max. But I will look again as i have wrestled with that program before.

Edit: All sliders are set to max. There is no speaker icon showing at the bottom of the PCM slider. And both tabs have an X next to their tab names. It has been quite a while since I needed to go into this program, so I cannot remember what everything is supposed to look like.

Stevo
Developer

#6 Post by Stevo »

Older versions do have known security bugs, so I'd not advise downgrading. Maybe you could try switching to the latest Firefox 36 in the main community repo to see if that works?

Chromium will also be using HTML5 for Youtube unless you have the pepperflashplugin-nonfree package installed, so it's a different kettle of fish. I do know Flash demands a "default" audio device, but just installing pulseaudio seems to solve a lot of these woes.

lucky9

#7 Post by lucky9 »

There's an Extension to get the Firefox interface back to the old style. (if that's a problem for you)
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Topher

#8 Post by Topher »

Per Stevo
but just installing pulseaudio seems to solve a lot of these woes.
If I install pulseaudio, should I uninstall something else so there is no conflict?
By the way, I just looked at a movie trailer using Iceweasel and the sound worked even though sound doesn't work on youtube. So I am confused as to what exactly the problem is.

Stevo
Developer

#9 Post by Stevo »

Right click the video to see if it's using Flash or not.

Topher

#10 Post by Topher »

Right click the video to see if it's using Flash or not.
When I RC on the Youtube video it says "About Adobe Flash Player 11.2.202.442..."
When I click on that, it takes me to the Adobe website and saya that 11.2.202.442 is the latest release for Linux FF.
When I RC on the movie trailer where I have sound, I get the same message and clicking on that takes me to Adobe. I do have the MX-Flash Manager installed and checked to see if it was still set to automatically update.

Return to “MX Respins”