Terminal accepts only Login Password as Root Password

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
shankar58989

Terminal accepts only Login Password as Root Password

#1 Post by shankar58989 »

Hello,

When installing MXLinux I set up my root password to be different from my login password. I noticed that the GUI thing that asks for password when I open Synaptic accepts the root password that I setup. But whenever the terminal asks for the root password it accepts only my login password as root password. If i enter my actual root password it says the password is wrong.

I suppose this is a bug, so reporting it here.

Thanks

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Re: Terminal accepts only Login Password as Root Password

#2 Post by JayM »

What are you typing in the terminal, su or sudo? Sudo requires your user's password, su requires the root password. That's normal and how they work. Some distros (Mint, for one) never even give you the opportunity to create a root password and require you to use sudo for everything. Just opening the Xfce terminal by itself won't ask you for any password, it will just open.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

shankar58989

#3 Post by shankar58989 »

Hello Jay,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I was typing sudo and not su. I now have understood the difference and the behaviour of the terminal.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#4 Post by JayM »

If this solves your issue or answers your question please edit your original post (via the pencil icon at the top right) and add [SOLVED] to its subject. This makes it easier for others when they're searching the forum looking for solutions to the same question or problem. Thanks.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”