Welcome!

The kernel problem with recent updates has been solved. Find the solution here

Important information
-- Required MX 15/16 Repository Changes
-- Information on torrent hosting changes
-- Information on MX15/16 GPG Keys
-- Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities

News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

RECENT KERNEL UPGRADE BROKE NVIDIA GRAPHICS -- SOLUTION

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
User avatar
asqwerth
Developer
Posts: 4979
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:37 am

Re: RECENT KERNEL UPGRADE BROKE NVIDIA GRAPHICS -- SOLUTION

#11

Post by asqwerth » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:36 am

I'm sure this is a silly suggestion, but did you try Alt+F2 instead?

that often seems on my PC.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

User avatar
Ghost67
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:04 am

Re: RECENT KERNEL UPGRADE BROKE NVIDIA GRAPHICS -- SOLUTION

#12

Post by Ghost67 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:50 am

Yes I did. Same grey wallpaper and mouse cursor I'm afraid :(

I've decided to reinstall from the same snapshot but forego the nvidia drivers and gaming for the time being.
https://www.youtube.com/c/GhostSixtyseven
'Quo, quo scelesti ruitis?'

User avatar
dolphin_oracle
Developer
Posts: 12211
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Re: RECENT KERNEL UPGRADE BROKE NVIDIA GRAPHICS -- SOLUTION

#13

Post by dolphin_oracle » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:17 am

Remove the xorg.conf file
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-18.3
lenovo s21e - antiX-19 beta 2 (live-USB)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

User avatar
dolphin_oracle
Developer
Posts: 12211
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Re: RECENT KERNEL UPGRADE BROKE NVIDIA GRAPHICS -- SOLUTION

#14

Post by dolphin_oracle » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:29 am

Jerry3904 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:22 am
MOD: please don't use all capitals in the Subject line b/c we don't need to be YELLED AT to provide help.
note that the thread was originally started by BJ, offerring help after the kernel fiasco.

In that case I think the ALL CAPS are justified, since it made it stand out in the forum lists during a critical time.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-18.3
lenovo s21e - antiX-19 beta 2 (live-USB)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

User avatar
Jerry3904
Administrator
Posts: 25422
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:13 am

Re: RECENT KERNEL UPGRADE BROKE NVIDIA GRAPHICS -- SOLUTION

#15

Post by Jerry3904 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:30 am

okey dokey
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB
Personal: XPS 13, 4.18.0-19.3-liquorix, 4 GB

User avatar
Ghost67
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:04 am

Re: RECENT KERNEL UPGRADE BROKE NVIDIA GRAPHICS -- SOLUTION

#16

Post by Ghost67 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:53 am

dolphin_oracle wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:17 am
Remove the xorg.conf file
I remember I wrote a new one after invoking ForceCompositionPipeline to 'on'. That's what did it then?
I will reinstate Steam and then the Driver and give that a shot. Cheers DO ;)
https://www.youtube.com/c/GhostSixtyseven
'Quo, quo scelesti ruitis?'

User avatar
dolphin_oracle
Developer
Posts: 12211
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Re: RECENT KERNEL UPGRADE BROKE NVIDIA GRAPHICS -- SOLUTION

#17

Post by dolphin_oracle » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:55 am

Ghost67 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:53 am
dolphin_oracle wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:17 am
Remove the xorg.conf file
I remember I wrote a new one after invoking ForceCompositionPipeline to 'on'. That's what did it then?
I will reinstate Steam and then the Driver and give that a shot. Cheers DO ;)
Possibly. there are a lot of reports around the web of the ForceCompositionPipeline tweak in xorg.conf causing all sorts of issues with the later nvidia drivers. Our Eadwine Rose here on the forum has a post on adding an nvidia-settings command to startup in lieu of using a xorg.conf file.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-18.3
lenovo s21e - antiX-19 beta 2 (live-USB)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

User avatar
Ghost67
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:04 am

Re: RECENT KERNEL UPGRADE BROKE NVIDIA GRAPHICS -- SOLUTION

#18

Post by Ghost67 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:00 am

dolphin_oracle wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:55 am
Ghost67 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:53 am
dolphin_oracle wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:17 am
Remove the xorg.conf file
I remember I wrote a new one after invoking ForceCompositionPipeline to 'on'. That's what did it then?
I will reinstate Steam and then the Driver and give that a shot. Cheers DO ;)
Possibly. there are a lot of reports around the web of the ForceCompositionPipeline tweak in xorg.conf causing all sorts of issues with the later nvidia drivers. Our Eadwine Rose here on the forum has a post on adding an nvidia-settings command to startup in lieu of using a xorg.conf file.
Bless ya matey! What would I do without you? :)
https://www.youtube.com/c/GhostSixtyseven
'Quo, quo scelesti ruitis?'

User avatar
dolphin_oracle
Developer
Posts: 12211
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Re: RECENT KERNEL UPGRADE BROKE NVIDIA GRAPHICS -- SOLUTION

#19

Post by dolphin_oracle » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:10 am

Ghost67 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:00 am
dolphin_oracle wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:55 am
Ghost67 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:53 am


I remember I wrote a new one after invoking ForceCompositionPipeline to 'on'. That's what did it then?
I will reinstate Steam and then the Driver and give that a shot. Cheers DO ;)
Possibly. there are a lot of reports around the web of the ForceCompositionPipeline tweak in xorg.conf causing all sorts of issues with the later nvidia drivers. Our Eadwine Rose here on the forum has a post on adding an nvidia-settings command to startup in lieu of using a xorg.conf file.
Bless ya matey! What would I do without you? :)
probably buy an AMD. (Ha!)

Eadwine Rose and stevo did the work on that one. I just read alot :)
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-18.3
lenovo s21e - antiX-19 beta 2 (live-USB)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

User avatar
Eadwine Rose
Administrator
Posts: 8970
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:10 am

Re: RECENT KERNEL UPGRADE BROKE NVIDIA GRAPHICS -- SOLUTION

#20

Post by Eadwine Rose » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:57 am

dolphin_oracle wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:29 am
Jerry3904 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:22 am
MOD: please don't use all capitals in the Subject line b/c we don't need to be YELLED AT to provide help.
note that the thread was originally started by BJ, offerring help after the kernel fiasco.

In that case I think the ALL CAPS are justified, since it made it stand out in the forum lists during a critical time.
It was pinned by yours truly as well :)
MX-18.3_x64 May 26 2019 * 4.19.0-5-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.12.3 * 8-core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 390.116 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy5030

Post Reply

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”