Recent kernel upgrade broke Nvidia graphics -- solution

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
BitJam
Developer

Recent kernel upgrade broke Nvidia graphics -- solution

#1 Post by BitJam »

Some people with nvidia graphics booted to a blank screen after the recent kernel upgrade.

The solution is pretty easy. After you boot to the blank screen press <Alt><F2> (both keys together) to get to a console login screen. Log in with your user name and password and then run:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure nvidia-kernel-dkms
Once that's done, reboot your machine with:

sudo reboot
I hope this works for you and we are very sorry for the inconvenience.

There are probably other similar problems that need to be fixed but I imagine it will be more pleasant to address those from your familiar graphical desktop.

Mod note: title edited
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Re: RECENT KERNEL UPGRADE BROKE NVIDIA GRAPHICS -- SOLUTION

#2 Post by JayM »

It didn't just break nvidia graphics but all dkms kernel modules for drivers. See viewtopic.php?f=108&p=510467#p510467
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

kmathern
Developer

#3 Post by kmathern »

JayM wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:48 am It didn't just break nvidia graphics but all dkms kernel modules for drivers. See viewtopic.php?f=108&p=510467#p510467

Try this, it should rebuild all dkms kernel modules, not just nvidia. Let us know how it works.

sudo /usr/share/mx-packageinstaller-pkglist/rebuild_dkms_packages.sh

CrackMeUp

#4 Post by CrackMeUp »

So far I haven't had any issues :crossfingers: ... neither with the tens of installations of MX-18 for friends and family (only because of a lot of emailing to warn them to not upgrade for the moment). I do find ...
Important Alert
Do not upgrade your MX 17 or MX18 system installed or live until further notice. A problem with a kernel upgrade has occurred. A fix will be posted when available.
a bit troubling insofar that users affected by this obviously cannot access the warning ... even if they could, the "fixes" and reports are scattered on the Forum.

Out of curiosity, and perhaps helpful, is this script created by dolphin_oracle that I stashed a couple of years ago, and am wondering if it could still be valid(?) ...

rebuild-dkms
#!/bin/bash

#script to rebuild dkms modules installed from deb packages
#dolphin oracle, March 2017

for i in $(dpkg-query -l |grep "\-dkms" |awk '{print $2'}); do
dpkg-reconfigure $i |tee -a /var/log/rebuild-dkms.log
done

kmathern
Developer

#5 Post by kmathern »

CrackMeUp wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:36 am Out of curiosity, and perhaps helpful, is this script created by dolphin_oracle that I stashed a couple of years ago, and am wondering if it could still be valid(?) ...
The /usr/share/mx-packageinstaller-pkglist/rebuild_dkms_packages.sh script does the same thing (I think it's an improved version of dolphin_oracle's original script).

$ cat /usr/share/mx-packageinstaller-pkglist/rebuild_dkms_packages.sh
#!/bin/bash

#force rebuild of dkms packages (virtualbox, nvidia, fglrx, broadcom, ndiswrapper)
#part of mx-packageinstaller

[[ $(dpkg-query --show $1 2>/dev/null && echo $?) ]] || exit 0

for i in $(dpkg-query -l |grep "\-dkms" |awk '{print $2'}); do
 dpkg-reconfigure $i |tee -a /var/log/rebuild-dkms.log
done

exit 0

richb
Administrator

#6 Post by richb »

A message was posted to Facebook, Twitter and the Website. There is so much we can do with the announcement. Courier service is not available to us.
A definitive Fix liked to the announcement is being worked on. Also people affected by this who can get to the desktop can see the announcement. Whether they read it or not is a different matter.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Stevo
Developer

#7 Post by Stevo »

We've also pulled the kernel update responsible. We'll probably wait for Debian to update their Buster kernel with the same security fixes and a different kernel version before we port it over, which they still haven't done two weeks after updating the Stretch kernel, so apparently they don't consider it that much of an issue.

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Stevo wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:08 pm We'll probably wait for Debian to update their Buster kernel with the same security fixes and a different kernel version before we port it over, which they still haven't done two weeks after updating the Stretch kernel, so apparently they don't consider it that much of an issue.
The Debian developers are rather busy with the imminent release and testing is not covered by the Security Team — I had to add the stretch security repositories to my buster system to get the fixed firefox-esr version.

Anybody with older hardware could switch to the Debian stable kernel instead.
mod note: Signature removed, please read the forum rules

timkb4cq
Developer

#9 Post by timkb4cq »

It's in sid.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

Ghost67

#10 Post by Ghost67 »

It seems I picked the wrong time to do a fresh install!

I fresh installed a recent MX-18.3 snapshot (built on a non nvidia machine without nvidia drivers),
The install went flawlessly of course, so I then installed Steam followed by the nvidia drivers (via the installer in the menu).
Everything seemed pukka, so I went ahead and brought my games down and tested them all on the new install with great success.

Upon rebooting this morning I find I can get to the login screen and enter my user name and password which gives me just the grey login wallpaper and a mouse cursor, from where:

Alt + Backspace doesn't take me to a command line,
F4 invokes a drop-down terminal which is invisible (the cursor changes to the text pipe when at the top of the screen).
Alt +F1 doesn't take me to a prompt.

I note the 4.19 bug that is affecting nvidia driver users here: https://mxlinux.org/blog/our-recent-kernel-problem/ so i tried the 'add '3' at the end of the linux line' part to no effect unfortunately. No command prompt.

I also cannot opt to boot with another kernel as 4.19 appears to be the only one available.

I'm not sure what to do about this. My knee-jerk reaction is to slap on a new install of something else instead, but I'm certain this problem has an easy fix, as others with similar issues recently have found. I just don't know what that may be?

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”