MX Package Installer feature(?) request

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
Friedrich

MX Package Installer feature(?) request

#1 Post by Friedrich »

Is there a way to force the MX Package Installer to always show what will be installed AND ask for confirmation before proceeding ?
If I see this correctly it installs right away if there are no further dependencies.
That can be a nuisance if expected dependencies are not included.

PPC

Re: MX Package Installer feature(?) request

#2 Post by PPC »

Friedrich wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:52 am Is there a way to force the MX Package Installer to always show what will be installed AND ask for confirmation before proceeding ?
If I see this correctly it installs right away if there are no further dependencies.
That can be a nuisance if expected dependencies are not included.
I can only talk about the last part of your "question"- as far as I know, MX Package installer always installs the needed dependencies (for me it has always done so). It really works like a very limited "app store", like other OS have- just choose the application you want and install it. Mx takes care of everything else (like dependencies, etc.)...
If I want to see what will be installed, I use Synaptic (I look for the name of the application I want to install and see it's dependencies... Probably "apt-get -s install <package_name>" will simulate installing the package, showing you what packages will be installed and configured (I copied this from a google search result)...
The feature you request can be emulated doing that, for now... The rest is up to the devs... :-)
P.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#3 Post by Jerry3904 »

Such requests should be made using our Bug Manager (click "BUGS" on the right end of the menu bar) as an enhancement. Doing it that way means 1) that the appropriate Dev(s) will see it, and 2) that it will not get buried or forgotten.

Thanks (to everybody).
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Friedrich

#4 Post by Friedrich »

Thanks, PPC.
I should have been a bit more specific. Synaptic is fine as you said but as it does not show packages from the test-repo,
it is something specific with the MX-packet-installer. Of course, usually dependencies install fine there too.
But even than I think an overview of what is going to be installed and a request for confirmation would make things more transparent.
Jerry3904 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:59 am Such requests should be made using our Bug Manager (click "BUGS" on the right end of the menu bar) as an enhancement. Doing it that way means 1) that the appropriate Dev(s) will see it, and 2) that it will not get buried or forgotten.
Thanks, Jerry. Good to know. Will do so. If i can handle it.. :) Done.
Last edited by Friedrich on Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#5 Post by dolphin_oracle »

FYI

apt (which is what MXPI uses on the backend) doesn't ask for confirmation if the only thing to be installed is the package requested. if there are any dependencies, you will get a request for confirmation.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Friedrich

#6 Post by Friedrich »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:10 pm FYI

apt (which is what MXPI uses on the backend) doesn't ask for confirmation if the only thing to be installed is the package requested. if there are any dependencies, you will get a request for confirmation.
I know. But synaptic does. And I think thats a good thing to have.
Maybe particularly so in the test-repo.

Stevo
Developer

#7 Post by Stevo »

Synaptic will show test repo packages if the test repo is enabled, either in its settings or with Repo Man ager.

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”