My printer won't print from any browser! URGENT!

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
sbcwinn

My printer won't print from any browser! URGENT!

#1 Post by sbcwinn »

:bagoverhead:

I am new to MX Linux. I love it. But I am a newbie.

I have a Canon MG2500 printer. It is not a netwrok printer and is connected via a USB cable.

The printer works fine with any LOCAL App.

It suddenly stopped printing from any app on the cloud..... (I.E. Word / Docs / etc...)

I do get an error message sometimes. That is very general in nature.

But, after I run the debug wizard that comes up, it says "Filter Failed."

Does anybody know how to fix this?

This for me is urgent because this printer is used for shipping. Aside from the Internet, it is not on a network of any kind.

THANKS!!!

tascoast

Re: My printer won't print from any browser! URGENT!

#2 Post by tascoast »

I realise this is a temporary solution, but how about saving documents and printing locally via Libre Office etc?

Someone will likely have some technical advice as to why you cannot access printing via cloud applications.
Inspiron 15 5000-5593- (i7-1065G7) MX 19.2 AHS/MX-21//W10 - Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX-21/MX19/antiX19/Mint 19

towwire

#3 Post by towwire »

Until someone with the know how to help with sending a print job to your printer, maybe print to a file as "something.pdf" and then printing the pdf. Since you say the local apps work, this should help until it's fixed.
It is easier to fight for one's principles then to live up to them.

sbcwinn

#4 Post by sbcwinn »

That in fact is what I am doing.

But shipping takes twice as long.

If anyone can help, please I am desperate.

Sbcwinn

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#5 Post by JayM »

sbcwinn wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:41 pm It suddenly stopped printing from any app on the cloud..... (I.E. Word / Docs / etc...)

I do get an error message sometimes. That is very general in nature.

But, after I run the debug wizard that comes up, it says "Filter Failed."
Can you provide more information? What are you using to access these cloud services and what cloud provider are you using? Office 365? Google Drive? What are you using to open and try to print your documents? Can you provide the exact text of all error messages?
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

figueroa

#6 Post by figueroa »

The problem doesn't make any sense, because a web browser is a LOCAL application. If you can print from any other local application, you can print from any browser, unless you have a browser problem. However, "filter failed" is a local printing CUPS error message. Possibly your browser isn't printing to the same printer as your other local apps.

According to Canon the MX2500 does not have Linux drivers. According to OpenPrinting this series is a paperweight. https://www.openprinting.org/printer/Canon/Canon-MG2520
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

Sparky

#7 Post by Sparky »

copy and paste to featherpad and print from there.
MX Linux Asus F552, 12GB RAM, 500GB WD SSD MX19.2
Dell Inspiron 7559 16GB RAM 1X 256GB SSD & 1TB SSD MX KDE 21.1 & Windows 11
Mini Tower PC 2X 256GB SSD MX KDE21.1

sbcwinn

#8 Post by sbcwinn »

I do download the documents and print locally, but that isn't how it is supposed to work, is it?
This was not happening originally. It just started suddenly.
I have had this pinter for quite a while and I did test it on another computer running Ubumtu and there was no issue.were both tested with the same results.

Can somebody please help?

Thanks.

PS the Canon Linux drivers and the CUPS drivers

fehlix
Developer

#9 Post by fehlix »

sbcwinn wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 7:16 pm This was not happening originally. It just started suddenly.
When you press "Ctrl P" (or File->Print) when you have opened a browser, can print or not?
If you can print, then you can print from the browser.
If you are using a "web-app" and cannot print from with the web-app,
then something with your web-app is not working.
As we don't know what browser or what web-app are involved, so I guess not easy
to track down the show stopper.
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#10 Post by JayM »

People are trying to help you but you still haven't given us any detailed information about what exactly you're doing, what apps you're using to do it with, or anything at all, really, as you were asked to do four days ago. So far you haven't helped us to help you.

1. As fehlix suggested, open Firefox, go to google.com. then turn your printer on and press control+p on your keyboard and try to print that page. Does it print?

2. If so, what is the URL of your cloud service? If we could take a look at that we may be able to determine more information about the problem, for example if it uses a web-based application that the cloud provider has developed, perhaps it requires a specific web browser and/or version (it may be incompatible with the newer versions of Firefox, for example, in which case someone can talk you through reverting yours to an older version then pinning it so it won't get upgraded during the MX update process.) They might have some online documentation or a FAQ page, or perhaps a support forum, that may provide information about browser compatibility and/or about printing cloud-based documents hosted on that service.)

3. If the google page won't print from Firefox but other documents will print from within LibreOffice, Featherpad text editor, and so on then there's an issue with your Firefox that we'll try to help you to fix.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”