Virtualbox 5&6 - MX/antiX kernel conflicts [SOLVED]

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
manyroads

Re: Virtualbox 5&6 - MX/antiX kernel conflicts

#31 Post by manyroads »

Stevo wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:54 pm Yes, is this the Liquorix kernel from our test repo, via the package installer?
Yes!
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

manyroads

#32 Post by manyroads »

timkb4cq wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:23 pm That eliminates one possible issue. How about running:

Code: Select all

/usr/src/linux-headers-5.0.0-14.1-liquorix-amd64/scripts/gcc-version.sh -p gcc
Tim I get the following:

$ /usr/src/linux-headers-5.0.0-14.1-liquorix-amd64/scripts/gcc-version.sh -p gcc
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

timkb4cq
Developer

#33 Post by timkb4cq »

That kind of puts me at a loss because your build log has

./scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 26: gcc: command not found
./scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 27: gcc: command not found
but the script runs fine from the command line.

Only one thing occurs to me now, and it's a long shot, but lets see

echo $PATH
sudo echo $PATH
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

manyroads

#34 Post by manyroads »

timkb4cq wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:17 pm That kind of puts me at a loss because your build log has

./scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 26: gcc: command not found
./scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 27: gcc: command not found
but the script runs fine from the command line.

Only one thing occurs to me now, and it's a long shot, but lets see

echo $PATH
sudo echo $PATH
Thanks again, Tim.

Here are the results...

$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games:/sbin:/usr/sbin
mark@mark-dell:~
$ sudo echo $PATH
[sudo] password for mark: 
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games:/sbin:/usr/sbin
mark@mark-dell:~
Pax vobiscum,

timkb4cq
Developer

#35 Post by timkb4cq »

Yup, still at a loss. Unless you installed other gcc versions and messed with the symlinks I can't think how that script works from the terminal but not when dkms calls it.
That same version gcc & virtualbox works properly here.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

manyroads

#36 Post by manyroads »

timkb4cq wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:45 am Yup, still at a loss. Unless you installed other gcc versions and messed with the symlinks I can't think how that script works from the terminal but not when dkms calls it.
That same version gcc & virtualbox works properly here.
I can say for certain I did not mess with the symlinks (myself, manually). The only symlinks I create are for thunderbid and couple of small apps to get access to my Dropbox folders. Having said that , I almost certainly have a 'collection' of gcc installs.

Here's my listing:

ii  clang                                           1:3.8-36                          amd64        C, C++ and Objective-C compiler (LLVM based)
ii  clang-3.8                                       1:3.8.1-24                        amd64        C, C++ and Objective-C compiler (LLVM based)
ii  g++                                             4:6.3.0-4                         amd64        GNU C++ compiler
ii  g++-6                                           6.3.0-18+deb9u1                   amd64        GNU C++ compiler
ii  gcc                                             4:6.3.0-4                         amd64        GNU C compiler
ii  gcc-6                                           6.3.0-18+deb9u1                   amd64        GNU C compiler
ii  libllvm3.8:amd64                                1:3.8.1-24                        amd64        Modular compiler and toolchain technologies, runtime library
ii  libllvm7:amd64                                  1:7-6~mx17+1                      amd64        Modular compiler and toolchain technologies, runtime library
ii  libxkbcommon0:amd64                             0.7.1-2~deb9u1                    amd64        library interface to the XKB compiler - shared library
ii  linux-compiler-gcc-6-x86                        4.20-2~mx17+1                     amd64        Compiler for Linux on x86 (meta-package)
Perhaps one of these broke something.
Pax vobiscum,

manyroads

#37 Post by manyroads »

Another update (good news).

After running the following:

sudo apt install --reinstall gcc
I used MXPI to install several of the previous kernels that failed dkms earlier.

They all work without error now. The reinstall seems to have 'fixed' whatever was broken.

I'll mark the problem [solved].
Pax vobiscum,

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”