Installing Latest LIBREOFFICE

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
pvhramani

Installing Latest LIBREOFFICE

#1 Post by pvhramani »

I have the latest updated MX-18 updated recently... My attempt to install Latest LIBREOFFICE 6.2... is not successful. I dont know how to proceed. Please help

Thanks...

duje

Re: Installing Latest LIBREOFFICE

#2 Post by duje »

pvhramani wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 5:05 am I have the latest updated MX-18 updated recently... My attempt to install Latest LIBREOFFICE 6.2... is not successful. I dont know how to proceed. Please help

Thanks...
there is no 6.2 in repo, best you can get is 6.1.5 in test and debian backport

Jerry3904
Administrator

#3 Post by Jerry3904 »

You can do it without it being in a repo, but it helps to have a clue what you are doing.

--web search "libreoffice download latest version"
--right at the top: https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/
--6.2.3 is there, so select your operating system (e.g., Linux x64) and your package format (deb)
--click on the download button; since I use this all the time, I always make a small donation
--once download is complete, go to the Downloads folder, and right-click the archive LibreOffice_6.2.3 > Extract Here
--click the folder that is extracted then right-click the folder DEBS > Open Terminal here
--enter this code

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i *.deb
--now it is installed and available in the Office category of the menu
--you probably will want to remove the older version which you can do by using Synaptic to select and remove libreoffice-core, which will bring the rest with it. Make sure you don't remove the new one!
--create a launcher by opening the Start Menu and right-clicking the plain LibreOffice entry > Add to Panel (or: Add to Desktop).
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

srq2625

#4 Post by srq2625 »

Aaaaa - ninja(ed) by Jerry!

In case you missed it .... LO 6.2.3 is available here

Working from memory and without a Linux box in front of me to test, the following should get you done. If not, it will at least get you close to your target.
  1. Uninstall the LO currently installed - because I'm not sure the last step will over-write the current install or not.

sudo apt-get -purge libreoffice*
  2. Download the .tar.gz file, making sure you download the "Linux x86_64 (deb)" file.
  3. 'cd' to the folder into which the file was downloaded
  4. Extract the data from the .tar.gz file with

tar xzf <filename>
    where "<filename>" is the name of the file downloaded from the above site.
    This will create a folder containing only the LO *.deb files
  5. 'cd' into the newly created folder
  6. Install the LO suite

sudo dpkg -i ./*.deb
  7. Enjoy living on the edge :)
AsusTek PRIME B450-Plus
AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8-Core, 16 threads)
Radeon HD 6570/7570/8550 / R5 230
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 - driver: r8169
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
DDR4 3200MHz CL16 2x8GB

PPC

#5 Post by PPC »

You can live safely on the edge, using LibreOffice via appimage.
Libreoffice.org is has the best appimage support I ever officially found on a application: check it out over at https://www.libreoffice.org/download/appimage/
there's a fresh, a stable version... They have it all, you can run multiple versions of LibreOffice this way (no need to uninstall the one you have installed in your system).

If you are not that aware of what appimages are, use your favourite search engine and look for info on it- it's basicly a single file packaging (basicly) all the files and dependencies the software needs to run. Download the Appimage you want, change permissions so it's executable, double click it, and that's it. No install needed. In my opinion it's what's snaps and flatpaks should be in terms of simplicity of use. If you want to "unisntall" just delete the Appimage and you'r done.
One note about file permitions: if you download a Appimage file to a non linux partition, you don't even need to change it's permitions, simply click it and it runs.

Running / getting direct links to Writer, Calc, etc Appimage versions is also possible, Just create links to the LibreOffice .appimage you want with one of the following options:
" --writer Creates an empty Writer document.
--calc Creates an empty Calc document.
--draw Creates an empty Draw document.
--impress Creates an empty Impress document.
--base Creates a new database.
--global Creates an empty Writer master (global) document.
--math Creates an empty Math document (formula).
--web Creates an empty HTML document. "

You can try thise via the terminal, if you want to - just go to the folder where you downloaded the Appimage to and run it.

EX:
1-open the terminal and cd to the folder where you have the Appimage you want to use then try something like this (using you'r "applicationXXX.Appimage" instead of mine (I've been trying out LO 6.3 since last year):
2- "./LibreOfficeDev-6.3.0.0.alpha0_2018-12-29-x86_64.AppImage --writer" opens up that LO Writer's version

Just a little bit trickier than using a installed from .deb or .tar Libreoffice version...

Note:
I never understand why Appimages get so little love, they are way easier to run than a flatpak (according to my limited experience). I never tried using snaps, so, I'm not really sure how they compare to Appimages...

P.

remoteone

#6 Post by remoteone »

Hi all, I see there are multiple treads for LibreOffice , thought the title of this one most suited.
I need to upgrade LibreOffice from the currently installed Version: 6.1.5.2 to the latest version which at this time is 7.1.1.2
It looks like LO is not on the update list.
Is there plans to put LO on the list so it is available via the MXL Package Installer?
Ive tested the v7.1.1.2 Flatpack which seems to work k but would prefer a native install as have had issues with flatpacks before.
I do try to avoid doing installs of apps from terminal but it looks like the only option ATM.

How to add LibreOffice 7.1 to the repository, as the instructions found so far refer to using add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa which wont work in MXL.

So...
1. uninstall LO v6.1.5.2 ? Some instructions say yes, some say no.
2. DL the installation .deb from https://www.libreoffice.org/donate/dl/d ... deb.tar.gz
3. Install LO v7 using instructions https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Doc ... tall/Linux

I wish there was an easier way to upgrade LO in MXL, as v7.2 will contain bug fixes and to upgrade manually for each release will be a PITA.

figueroa

#7 Post by figueroa »

The curse of the Shinny New Thing may derail you. https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

Consider carefully the things, if any, that you can't do well with the current, stable LibreOffice (that are added or fixed in the new version) before looking to uncover the new bugs in a version not officially supported by your distribution. That is all.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#8 Post by JayM »

The test repo has LO 7.0.1. Won't that work? If not you're stuck with the flatpak unless you can find an appimage until LO gets updated again in test.

(BTW you're not supposed to bump ancient topics. From the forum rules:
Do not reply to others' existing topics to ask for help nor post multiple issues in one topic. Start a new topic for each issue. This helps to avoid confusion and chaos.

Do not reply to or "bump" old topics unless you have something useful to contribute. Do not unnecessarily bump your own topics. Wait at least 24 hours for a reply.
Just FYI so you don't get scolded by the moderators. :smile:)
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

andyprough
MX Packager

#9 Post by andyprough »

remoteone wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:23 pm3. Install LO v7 using instructions https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Doc ... tall/Linux
I prefer to use this command:

sudo apt install ./*.deb
That will allow you to upgrade or remove later through apt. Some people are big fans of installing the package with the dpkg installation method, but I prefer to do everything through one method - apt.

As far as whether to leave the older version on your system or remove it - I tend to leave the older version on my system when I have room for two entire versions of LO. That way I have a fallback in case the newest and least stable version fouls up, and I will also probably have better integration with the rest of the desktop through some additional packages that MX installed with the older version. But I'm currently on 7.0.4 for my older version, which is called the "Libreoffice Backports version" in the Popular Apps tab of the MX Package Installer. You may want to upgrade to that one, as that is the current "conservative" version of LO. Version 6.1.5.2 is getting pretty old now - unless you like it for some particular reason I would upgrade it to the 7.0.4 before installing the 7.1.1.2 packages. That would give you the current "conservative" version as a fallback and the current "latest" version for the latest features, and you should have good integration with the desktop.

One word of caution - in the future try not to revive two-year old dead forum threads to ask a related question. Just starting a new forum thread is best. It's a bit disorienting to try to figure out where we are in time with the thread and whose issues we are supposed to be responding to.
Primary Computer - Commodore 64: Processor - MOS 6510/8500, 1.023MHz; Memory - 64kb RAM, 20kB ROM - 8k BASIC V2, 8k Kernel, 4k Character ROM; Display output - 320x200, 16 colours; OS - BASIC V2.0; Weight: 1.8kg

remoteone

#10 Post by remoteone »

figueroa wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:49 pm The curse of the Shinny New Thing may derail you. https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
Consider carefully the things, if any, that you can't do well with the current, stable LibreOffice (that are added or fixed in the new version) before looking to uncover the new bugs in a version not officially supported by your distribution. That is all.
Yeah, I get that, but I am needing to fix the bug with OL calc v6. That is the INDIRECT() function does not process named arrays. I have many excel.xls(x) workbooks to open in libre calc. This is fixed in OL v7

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”