Settings Screen Icons - a little help

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
manyroads

Settings Screen Icons - a little help

#1 Post by manyroads »

Can someone tell me where the icons for this screen might be located?

TIA.
Screenshot_2019-04-18_19-42-49.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

asqwerth
Developer

Re: Settings Screen Icons - a little help

#2 Post by asqwerth »

Check

/usr/share/icons

And

/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#3 Post by JayM »

manyroads wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:43 pm Can someone tell me where the icons for this screen might be located?

TIA.

What icon theme is that? (Or is that what you're asking?)
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

manyroads

#4 Post by manyroads »

JayM wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:09 am
manyroads wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:43 pm Can someone tell me where the icons for this screen might be located?

TIA.

The theme is Sardi-Flat. I know where the standard icons are all located. What I'm trying to figure out is the names of the missing icons, so I can create some new ones for those that are absent from the icon theme (for use in MX). Sardi is a arch based distro and I think Edward DuBois has some beautiful themes. :p
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#5 Post by dolphin_oracle »

manyroads wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:28 am
JayM wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:09 am

TIA.

The theme is Sardi-Flat. I know where the standard icons are all located. What I'm trying to figure out is the names of the missing icons, so I can create some new ones for those that are absent from the icon theme (for use in MX). Sardi is a arch based distro and I think Edward DuBois has some beautiful themes. :p

the icons are defined in each application's .desktop file.

in mx-tweak's case, the icon defaults to usr/share/pixmaps/mx-tweak.png if there isn't an mx-tweak icon defined in a given theme (which I don't think any theme actually has but I could be wrong).

mx-system-sounds defaults to a theme's audio-speakers designation. So if the theme doesn't have that, there is no fallback icon (that's a really common icon though).

for the other applications, you can check their .desktop files to see if they have an entry for Icon=. you can have both hard paths and theme designations. icon files themselves can be stored in a theme, in /usr/share/pixmaps, /usr/share/icons, and in the hicolor theme folder than many themes default back to.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

manyroads

#6 Post by manyroads »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:26 am the icons are defined in each application's .desktop file.

in mx-tweak's case, the icon defaults to usr/share/pixmaps/mx-tweak.png if there isn't an mx-tweak icon defined in a given theme (which I don't think any theme actually has but I could be wrong).

mx-system-sounds defaults to a theme's audio-speakers designation. So if the theme doesn't have that, there is no fallback icon (that's a really common icon though).

for the other applications, you can check their .desktop files to see if they have an entry for Icon=. you can have both hard paths and theme designations. icon files themselves can be stored in a theme, in /usr/share/pixmaps, /usr/share/icons, and in the hicolor theme folder than many themes default back to.
Thank you very much! I thought as much. I'll futz around a bit to see what havoc I can wreck... :crossfingers:
Pax vobiscum,

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#7 Post by JayM »

manyroads wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:52 pm
dolphin_oracle wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:26 am the icons are defined in each application's .desktop file.

Thank you very much! I thought as much. I'll futz around a bit to see what havoc I can wreck... :crossfingers:
I'm looking forward to it. The reason I asked what theme that was is because I really like those icons so I'll be among the first to get them after you've finished your havoc-wrecking. :D
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

manyroads

#8 Post by manyroads »

JayM wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:15 pm [...]
I'm looking forward to it. The reason I asked what theme that was is because I really like those icons so I'll be among the first to get them after you've finished your havoc-wrecking. :D
You'll see them soon appearing in the Openbox MX setup I am announcing tomorrow (I hope.).
Pax vobiscum,

beardedragon

#9 Post by beardedragon »

Easiest way to find all icons: right click on Whisker Menu, go to "Properties" and when menu comes up click on the icon, it will give you all in your system.
Rule #1 Backup Everything
Rule #2 Read Rule #1

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#10 Post by JayM »

beardedragon wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:05 pm Easiest way to find all icons: right click on Whisker Menu, go to "Properties" and when menu comes up click on the icon, it will give you all in your system.
That will only show you available Whisker Menu "start button" icons, not all application etc. icons.

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”