Snapshots with kernels above 4.19.01: Monitor out of range

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
Friedrich

Re: Snapshots with kernels above 4.19.01: Monitor out of range

#21 Post by Friedrich »

Stevo wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:13 pm Does nvidia-detect say what driver may support it?
Yes:

Code: Select all

$ nvidia-detect
Detected NVIDIA GPUs:
00:05.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation C51 [GeForce 6150 LE] [10de:0241] (rev a2)

Checking card:  NVIDIA Corporation C51 [GeForce 6150 LE] (rev a2)
Your card is only supported up to the 304 legacy drivers series.
It is recommended to install the
    nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver
package.

Friedrich

#22 Post by Friedrich »

BitJam wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:51 pm I think the nvidiafb driver was causing most of your problems.
Looks like it.
You noticed, that this nvidiafb-trouble only occurs with snapshots and not at all on the installation the snapshots are derived from?
The blacklisting of nvidiafb seems only necessary in the snapshot-generating scripts?
BitJam wrote:If the nouveau driver suffices then you don't need to try to get the nvidia driver to work.
Of course not.. ;-). Although I usually prefer the better performance of the nvidia-drivers.
But first of all -I am sure you agree with that- : options that are offered should work.
Particularly so because MX is often praised, -in general, rightly so-, as running well on older hardware.
edit: A nice example from today:
https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/lg- ... linux.html

In case you wish me to test any other things concerning this matter, please let me know.
Otherwise and anyway I will look into the nvidia-driver installation troubles and see if I can contribute in any useful way.
BitJam wrote:I'm sorry this omission has caused you so much trouble.
On the contrary: Happy, that gave me the opportunity to contribute in a minor way..

BitJam
Developer

#23 Post by BitJam »

Friedrich wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:26 am You noticed, that this nvidiafb-trouble only occurs with snapshots and not at all on the installation the snapshots are derived from?
The blacklisting of nvidiafb seems only necessary in the snapshot-generating scripts?
I did not notice this. Thanks! I'd like to find out what makes it work on the installed system. Perhaps we can do the same thing on the live system. Ah, I see. The nouveau driver is included in the installed initrd. This means it gets loaded before nvidiafb gets a chance to monopolize the graphics hardware. We don't load graphics drivers in our live initrd which contributes to making it 10 times smaller so it loads 10 times faster and takes up 10 times less space on our iso files. So we still need to blacklist nvidiafb and rivafb on the live system but we don't need to blacklast them on the installed system. H'mm.
Friedrich wrote: Although I usually prefer the better performance of the nvidia-drivers.
But first of all -I am sure you agree with that- : options that are offered should work.
Particularly so because MX is often praised, -in general, rightly so-, as running well on older hardware.
Excellent! Party on.
Friedrich wrote:In case you wish me to test any other things concerning this matter, please let me know.
Otherwise and anyway I will look into the nvidia-driver installation troubles and see if I can contribute in any useful way.
Excellent! I'm all done, at least for now. Thank you for all of your help.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

Stevo
Developer

#24 Post by Stevo »

I just sent up a patched nvidia-legacy-304xx driver to the test repos that will now build on 5.0 kernels.

We also have a Debian backported 4.20 kernel in the MX 17/18 test repo that doesn't build the nvidiafb driver. I could also disable it for the Liquorix kernels, but it's sort of a pain to do that every time.

Friedrich

#25 Post by Friedrich »

Stevo wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:42 pm I just sent up a patched nvidia-legacy-304xx driver to the test repos that will now build on 5.0 kernels.
Does it matter which one of the three 5.0 liquorix in the test-repo is chosen?
Got a build error with kernel 5.0.0.7. Retrying..
After choosing the whole lot of the 304 related files in the test-repo: Success! Great job!

Sorry, for the useless noise above.
Select and install the nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver (304.137-7+mx17+1):
..and all is well on kernel 5.0.0-7.1-liquorix-amd64
(The nvidia-settings-legacy-304xx (304.134-1) in the stable repo is a-nice-to have frontend for some driver settings)

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”