a slight improvement you could make in the liveUSB's installer

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
lonesomepoint

a slight improvement you could make in the liveUSB's installer

#1 Post by lonesomepoint »

I have noticed that if you install MX to hard drive from a liveUSB, in the box (near the end of the installer) asking which partition (on which device) you will want to boot your new installation from, the choices default to the liveUSB;s partition. In other words, the installer assumes you want to boot the hard drive from the liveUSB. MX team, unless you have already changed this for recent versions (I run MX-16), would you consider changing this behavior in the installer? Because wouldn't I most likely want to boot the target media from itself, not from the liveUSB?

This caused a problem for me that had me mistakenly thinking something was wrong with my latest new hard drive installation, when actually it was the USB drive. The liveUSB system was fine, but the stick is obviously failing. I was booting the hard drive from the stick and didn't realize it, because I had accidentally let the installer finish with the liveUSB set as the booting partition. It's not your fault, MX team, that I didn't read all the installer's details closely enough; but could you make the small change that the installer doesn't expect by default to boot from the liveUSB? Again, if you haven't already changed that.

skidoo

Re: a slight improvement you could make in the liveUSB's installer

#2 Post by skidoo »

aha, that could be the cause of the several recent "black screen after install" and similar help request topics

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: a slight improvement you could make in the liveUSB's installer

#3 Post by dolphin_oracle »

actually, the boot device should already be filtered out of the installer menus.

for instance, if I boot live USB, my live device is sdc, then only sda and sdb are selectable at a target for installation and grub install.

**edit** there is a parameter to override this behavior in /usr/share/gazelle-installer-data/installer.conf that would allow installing to a partition on the boot device, but its set to "false" by default.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”