MX Acronyms (a dictionary or key)??

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: MX Acronyms (a dictionary or key)??

#11 Post by Jerry3904 »

That sounds like a good addition to our existing FAQ!
Sure, but I have no idea whether anybody looks at those at all...
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

richb
Administrator

#12 Post by richb »

Jerry3904 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:33 am
That sounds like a good addition to our existing FAQ!
Sure, but I have no idea whether anybody looks at those at all...
Yeah, we have links to all kinds of information on the Forum Index page, Manual, Wiki, Announcement banner. I A large number of help posts could be answered by using these resources. Not complaining or trying to squelch posting for help, just saying.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

manyroads

#13 Post by manyroads »

Artim wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:27 am Exactly right! Newbies are totally unfamiliar with weird file names and names of applications. I wouldn't think of Thor's hammer (Thunar) as a file manager, for example, and renaming it "Places" was supposed to be helpful I guess. But to me it doesn't suggest places on or in my computer as much as it does bookmarks - places on the Web! It that just the autism in me (taking words more literally than I should) or have I made a useful point?
@artim... your point is well taken. We are all victims of our "perspectives and background". Learning a new 'culture' (even one a simple as that presented by a new distro) requires patience and repetition. Better to explain too much rather than too little.

[old guy story] When I was much younger (yep I was young once :eek: ) I ran a study for a client (Motorola). What we studied was how many educational interventions it took to acquaint a person with a new concept. Our assumption was we were dealing with a competent engineer who needed to learn a new engineering concept. To our surprise, we discovered 10 educational interventions were required before a person became comfortable with the new material. Engineer jokes aside, that is typical for humans. Making information simple, redundant and accessible is a crucial component of learning. [/old guy story]
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”