Welcome!

The kernel problem with recent updates has been solved. Find the solution here

Important information
-- Required MX 15/16 Repository Changes
-- Information on torrent hosting changes
-- Information on MX15/16 GPG Keys
-- Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities

News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Virtualbox v 6 Series

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
User avatar
dphn
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 165
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:26 am

Re: Virtualbox v 6 Series

#11

Post by dphn » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:00 am

antiX-core.iso in VB 6.0.2 didn't start. On VB 5.22 there is no problem. I think there are a lot of bugs in VB 6 at the time. Still using 5.22 so far.
for those with an eye for the finer details...

User avatar
anticapitalista
Developer
Posts: 6284
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:40 am

Re: Virtualbox v 6 Series

#12

Post by anticapitalista » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:48 am

dphn wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:00 am
antiX-core.iso in VB 6.0.2 didn't start. On VB 5.22 there is no problem. I think there are a lot of bugs in VB 6 at the time. Still using 5.22 so far.
It works fine for me on antiX-17 (stretch) and VB 6.0.4 r128413 (Qt5.7.1)
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX-17 "Heather Heyer" - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

User avatar
dphn
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 165
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:26 am

Re: Virtualbox v 6 Series

#13

Post by dphn » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:10 am

Oh, there is a new bugfix release. (6.0.4) I've tried it last week with the 6.0.2 and your core iso.
for those with an eye for the finer details...

User avatar
Stevo
Developer
Posts: 19884
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:07 pm

Re: Virtualbox v 6 Series

#14

Post by Stevo » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:24 pm

Do the packages from Oracle have the same problem with the main GUI window not following any dark GTK theming as I see with the MX backported 6.X packages? The menus and subwindows do seem to follow the theming, so those have visible text at least, so the 6.X version is usable. 5.2.24's GUI does follow it nicely.

Here's what the MX 6.0.4 version looks like with the Obsidian2 theme, click on the thumbnail to see the gif:

Image

User avatar
asqwerth
Developer
Posts: 4976
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:37 am

Re: Virtualbox v 6 Series

#15

Post by asqwerth » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:47 pm

The theming issue also happened in manjaro.

Although I think the most recent vb6 update did improve this issue slightly.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

User avatar
Stevo
Developer
Posts: 19884
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:07 pm

Re: Virtualbox v 6 Series

#16

Post by Stevo » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:23 pm

Well, that's not good, since Manjaro has a much newer Qt 5 than MX. I wonder if it's related to that fancy ripple-shimmer they added when the mouse crosses over a button. As you can see, the rest of the application conforms to the theming, it's just the main GUI that has the issue.

User avatar
figueroa
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:20 am

Re: Virtualbox v 6 Series

#17

Post by figueroa » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:45 pm

Gentoo stable is also at version 5.22. There is a reason (instability) why stable distros don't jump onto the newest release of an upstream package.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

User avatar
asqwerth
Developer
Posts: 4976
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:37 am

Re: Virtualbox v 6 Series

#18

Post by asqwerth » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:48 am

Stevo wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:23 pm
Well, that's not good, since Manjaro has a much newer Qt 5 than MX. I wonder if it's related to that fancy ripple-shimmer they added when the mouse crosses over a button. As you can see, the rest of the application conforms to the theming, it's just the main GUI that has the issue.
OK, I think it was another Arch-based distro, not Manjaro (since Manjaro issues updates in batches and not as and when they pop up).

The most recent updates in the former distro removes the shimmer ripple effect from the VB main window. I think the text for each virtual machine entry has also reverted to black so it can be read even without mousing over the entry. Still a bit weird looking, but better.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

User avatar
Stevo
Developer
Posts: 19884
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:07 pm

Re: Virtualbox v 6 Series

#19

Post by Stevo » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:02 am

asqwerth wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:48 am
Stevo wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:23 pm
Well, that's not good, since Manjaro has a much newer Qt 5 than MX. I wonder if it's related to that fancy ripple-shimmer they added when the mouse crosses over a button. As you can see, the rest of the application conforms to the theming, it's just the main GUI that has the issue.
OK, I think it was another Arch-based distro, not Manjaro (since Manjaro issues updates in batches and not as and when they pop up).

The most recent updates in the former distro removes the shimmer ripple effect from the VB main window. I think the text for each virtual machine entry has also reverted to black so it can be read even without mousing over the entry. Still a bit weird looking, but better.
If you let me know what distro that was, maybe I can copy whatever changes they made to the build to fix the GUI.

User avatar
asqwerth
Developer
Posts: 4976
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:37 am

Re: Virtualbox v 6 Series

#20

Post by asqwerth » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:14 am

It's just the Arch upstream update of VB, since the distro just used arch repos.

It was an easy way for me to install a preconfigured image of arch without building the install from scratch, which I wasn't gonna do.

The Devs stopped work on their distro a year ago so I disabled their small repo and it's just plain Arch now.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Post Reply

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”