MX-18_January_x64 ISO issues

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
matteopa

MX-18_January_x64 ISO issues

#1 Post by matteopa »

Hi, letting you know after downloading MX-18_January_x64 ISO last night while I slept and then attempting a Virtual Machine install of it today, there's bugs or issues with installer. First attempt of installation I got the install grub bootloader prompt and did that, but then after it was done installing the grub bootloader.. the installer disappeared and I couldn't finish the setup of account, time, etc etc. The second attempt of installing MXLinux, I got through the bootloader part of installer and up to the account creation but got error popup about not being able to set root password. Tried a few different passwords for root password and it wouldn't take it. So I had no choice but close installer... Anyway, other then those issues it looks nice. Just hope you all maybe consider adding Brave browser in there instead of Firefox..

Mauser

Re: MX-18_January_x64 ISO issues

#2 Post by Mauser »

Did you check the checksum of the download to make sure you have a good downloaded copy?
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#3 Post by chrispop99 »

Are you absolutely sure the first time you didn't accidentally switch to the other workspace?

I know It's caught me out a couple of times.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

matteopa

#4 Post by matteopa »

Mauser wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:11 pm Did you check the checksum of the download to make sure you have a good downloaded copy?
Nah, I don't usually check checksum for doing Virtual Machine installs. If I do installs on host /main machines I check the checksums. I did download it from one of the linked mirrors from MXLinux site though. Not from outside sources / other odd ball sites.
chrispop99 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:17 pm Are you absolutely sure the first time you didn't accidentally switch to the other workspace?

I know It's caught me out a couple of times.

Chris
I don't think I did, but I'll try this again lol.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#5 Post by dolphin_oracle »

matteopa wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:52 am Hi, letting you know after downloading MX-18_January_x64 ISO last night while I slept and then attempting a Virtual Machine install of it today, there's bugs or issues with installer. First attempt of installation I got the install grub bootloader prompt and did that, but then after it was done installing the grub bootloader.. the installer disappeared and I couldn't finish the setup of account, time, etc etc. The second attempt of installing MXLinux, I got through the bootloader part of installer and up to the account creation but got error popup about not being able to set root password. Tried a few different passwords for root password and it wouldn't take it. So I had no choice but close installer... Anyway, other then those issues it looks nice. Just hope you all maybe consider adding Brave browser in there instead of Firefox..
If you could run the install again from the command line and post the output that would be very helpful. You are encountering a problem so intermittent we haven't been able to reproduce it reliably. Also the version of your vitualbox may help as well.

sudo -E minstall
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

matteopa

#6 Post by matteopa »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:35 pm If you could run the install again from the command line and post the output that would be very helpful. You are encountering a problem so intermittent we haven't been able to reproduce it reliably. Also the version of your vitualbox may help as well.

sudo -E minstall
Oh okay, I'll try that once then, then report back. VirtualBox version is "VirtualBox Graphical User Interface Version 6.0.2 r128162 (Qt5.6.2)". I just did a fresh installation of that last night as well. I used RevoUninstaller to remove the 5.x.x version and installed the 6.0.2 version. Which brings up another thing, not sure why but the VirtualBox Guest Additions don't seem to automatically resize the Virtual Machine's screen to my normal resolution. I've been stuck with 800x600 resolution no matter what distro I've been installing in Virtual Machine. Normal resolution is 1280x1024.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#7 Post by chrispop99 »

Just to make certain there was no problem with the ISO, I downloaded it and did a test install successfully.

Chris
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

Mauser

#8 Post by Mauser »

matteopa wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:33 pm
Mauser wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:11 pm Did you check the checksum of the download to make sure you have a good downloaded copy?
Nah, I don't usually check checksum for doing Virtual Machine installs. If I do installs on host /main machines I check the checksums. I did download it from one of the linked mirrors from MXLinux site though. Not from outside sources / other odd ball sites.
Even downloading the from the linked mirrors from MX Linux web site doesn't guarantee it's a good copy. It still could be a bad copy.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#9 Post by dolphin_oracle »

chrispop99 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:46 pm Just to make certain there was no problem with the ISO, I downloaded it and did a test install successfully.

Chris

we've encountered a problem in 2 spots.

1 is at the grub install screen, where for some reason the installer crashes before grub install is finished. we had this very early in mx18 development but thought we had it squashed. its hard to reproduce, and in fact in the same live session just re-running the installer usually completes.

2 is the password problem, which we have 2 reports on but also can't duplicate. One of those who reported it did just restart the install and it completed the second time, but the other reporter never supplied any requested info, so anything you can provide would be a big help.

I do suspect virtualbox 6 has a few issues with the graphics, so that may or may not be related. Qt does use some graphics acceleration by default and our installer gui is written in Qt.

So basically this one is a mystery we would like to resolve.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#10 Post by chrispop99 »

I do lots of installs to help users here and on FB. I have had problem 1 on a 'proper' install once since final, so it's going to be tricky to find.

In case it happens again, are then any log files you want me to save?

Chris
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”