MX-17.1: Could not install "libx11-dev" due to upgraded "libxcb1"

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
asqwerth
Developer

Re: MX-17.1: Could not install "libx11-dev" due to upgraded "libxcb1"

#11 Post by asqwerth »

Plus Test Repo Plus Debian Backports....
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

app4soft

#12 Post by app4soft »

timkb4cq wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:14 pm

Code: Select all

3: deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org/ stretch main non-free
Leaving deb-multimedia enabled is notorious for creating dependency issues. We only include it in our package lists at all (disabled by default) for a few patent encumbered libraries like libdvdcss2
OK, but I has 46 libs that already upgraded on my MX-17.1 from "deb-multimedia", so how I should force/downgrade them to MX or Debian repo in "single click"?

app4soft

#13 Post by app4soft »

Stevo wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:45 pm I build packages now as much as possible in isolated schroots using pbuilder and sbuild, so don't have to worry about those issues with azpainter, which will build on plain vanilla Stretch, so that's how I do it. Those kind of hassles are a thing of the past with those packaging tricks. :happy:
But user couldn't know about that, and if they try build AzPainter from source under MX-17.1, they also could trap in same situation as me.

So, I still don't understand why I got "libxcb1_1.12-3". Is it distributed inside MX-17.1-November-x86_64.iso OR it was my mistake?

Stevo
Developer

#14 Post by Stevo »

It's in the antiX repo, which is part of the MX repos. Add it back, and your dependency problem will go away, at least for that particular package.

Pbuilder and sbuilder are more advanced, but are pretty cool ways to ensure you build packages with your choice of basic or extended sets of repos, but the average user also shouldn't have those issues if they stick to the standard set of MX repos. Third party repos or backports always have the risk of breaking things, though backports should be much less dangerous.

I did break some -dev package installs for a day or so recently with the first build of Mesa 18.2.8 in the test repo, but that's fixed now, and that's why it's a test repo and you leave it always enabled at your own risk.

I believe deb-multimedia will make it impossible to build GIMP 2.10.8 packages, also.

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”