Timeshift in MX 18?

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
colin_b

Timeshift in MX 18?

#1 Post by colin_b »

I have seen that have been quite a few problems with MX 17 after recent updates.

I have used Timeshift on my MX 16 for nearly a year now, and it has worked flawlessly in creating system snapshots. I have fortunately not had the need to revert my system, but I know that it is a simple job if it is required.

https://itsfoss.com/backup-restore-linux-timeshift/

Would it be possible to add Timeshift to MX 18?

It would solve a lot of headaches with a minimum of fuss.
Last edited by colin_b on Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: Timeshift in MX 18?

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

Unlikely, but it's in the repos so easy to install:

Code: Select all

$ apt policy timeshift
timeshift:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 17.11-1mx17+1
  Version table:
     17.11-1mx17+1 500
        500 http://mirror.umd.edu/mxlinux/antix/stretch stretch/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://mirror.umd.edu/mxlinux/mx/repo stretch/main amd64 Packages
Maybe it can sneak into the Package Installer...
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

Debian recently added it, too, so we have a backported 18.9 version in the test repo.

manyroads

#4 Post by manyroads »

Hi @stevo.

I installed it on 18rc1 it seems to work. I'll add a usb drive for it to use tomorrow. I'll report any issues.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

colin_b

#5 Post by colin_b »

Stevo wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:26 pm Debian recently added it, too, so we have a backported 18.9 version in the test repo.
I updated to the 18.9 version and I have done a bit of testing.

I set Timeshift to create a backup file after boot-up and left it to its own devices.

Shortly after it was set up an initial backup file was created, this took a few minutes to complete.

I set Timeshift to have 3 backup files, and after reboot the second file was created, but this time it was done in seconds rather than minutes. The older version of Timeshift had a quirk where two backup files were created after a reboot, this does not affect this version. Hurrah! :happy:

A few hours later I downloaded a small update from the update manager and allowed it to install.

I then fired up Timeshift, selected the previous restore point, held my breath, and then selected restore.

When the restore was complete the computer rebooted and I was presented with the desktop upon completion of reboot.

I checked the update manager and found it once again had the updates listed which I had previously installed, so the restore had indeed done its job.

In as nutshell, the updated Timeshift from the test repo does an admirable job.

manyroads

#6 Post by manyroads »

I tried it (Timeshift) and found it slow and less useful (and slower) than grsync....
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

richb
Administrator

#7 Post by richb »

manyroads wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:41 pm I tried it (Timeshift) and found it slow and less useful (and slower) than grsync....
Confused. This post seems to say it is very good.

https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php ... 75#p473075
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Stevo
Developer

#8 Post by Stevo »

Thanks for testing 18.9! On the basis of it fixing those bugs, we should move it to main.

colin_b

#9 Post by colin_b »

manyroads wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:41 pm I tried it (Timeshift) and found it slow and less useful (and slower) than grsync....
I like simplicity. Timeshift did what I needed a minimal amount of head scratching. grsync looks more suited for advanced users.

The initial backup by Timeshift took a few mins. Subsequent ones only took a few seconds and were non-intrusive, so I don't see this being an issue.
Stevo wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:51 pm Thanks for testing 18.9! On the basis of it fixing those bugs, we should move it to main.
Hopefully it will be put to good use.

:number1:

dphn

#10 Post by dphn »

have installed timeshift for a while from LMDE3 repo and now I've become an update from MX for that. Fantastic.
for those with an eye for the finer details...

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”