Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

XFCE screensaver doesn't work with dual monitors

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
Guido

XFCE screensaver doesn't work with dual monitors

#1 Post by Guido »

Running MX 17.latest, Lenovo W530.
I start with just the laptop, put it in the docking station, set up the second screen, etc.
Screensaver starts on the laptop screen after the given time, but doesn't start on the external monitor. Not sure where to look, but this is stock MX behavior, so I'm hoping one of you knows where to look.

Another thing about XFCE and external monitors, when you switch modes on the external monitor, somehow XFCE is detecting this as a disconnect. On Devuan's stock XFCE, I would get a little time for the monitor to come back on line, and the desktop wouldn't freak out. However, the time is almost non-existent on MX. Any glitch in the monitor connection causes the desktop to freak out and reconfigure. Is there some setting on how often it checks for changes in changes is number of displays?

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: XFCE screensaver doesn't work with dual monitors

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

That is Xscreensaver, which has caused so much trouble that we are not including it with MX-18. You might search the Forum to look at the posts.

The monitor problem is all over the Xfce Forum, but maybe somebody here will have an answer.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Guido

#3 Post by Guido »

I knew there were complaints, denials of responsibility, but it looked pretty good on your system, so I assumed you had solved the problems.

What screensaver is on MX18?

fehlix
Developer

#4 Post by fehlix »

Guido wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:19 am Another thing about XFCE and external monitors, when you switch modes on the external monitor, somehow XFCE is detecting this as a disconnect. On Devuan's stock XFCE, I would get a little time for the monitor to come back on line, and the desktop wouldn't freak out. However, the time is almost non-existent on MX. Any glitch in the monitor connection causes the desktop to freak out and reconfigure. Is there some setting on how often it checks for changes in changes is number of displays?
You might find somewhere a automated solution for switching monitors issue.
An alternative approach would be to have a "xrandr + save_desktop_icons" combined little script,
which changes predefined states. So you would first save those states you want to switch between,
and have the script to adjust between the two known states. The script could be bound to a keyboard-shortcut or an icon on the pannel. To start with have a look into xrandr.
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Guido

#5 Post by Guido »

There has allegedly been a rewrite of the XFCE Display configuration that I'm waiting to see how well it works.
https://simon.shimmerproject.org/2018/1 ... play-land/

It doesn't look like it's going to fix all the problems, but the problems seem to be coming from laptop users like myself and the fact that all the display configurators utilities are ripping off everyone else's defective design decisions. So this is high on my priority list to hack this guy's code. I just finished rebuilding my main machine on MX. I'm currently building various utilities not available in Debian for my machine. So after those get built, I'll see how bad the XFCE code is, probably in January.

I should ask, what do I have to do to get permission to upload packages to MX testing repository. I want to package Fiji (Java-based ImageJ distro), HP-15C calculator, TaskCoach, Sofa Stats, and a few minor packages that I keep hauling around to different machines. I've never packaged things before, but I'd like to give it a try. What permissions? What instructions/tools do you recommend?

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”