Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

Possible thunar bug: initially not showing "execute" option after changing file permitions

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
PPC

Possible thunar bug: initially not showing "execute" option after changing file permitions

#1 Post by PPC »

Hi, I recently realized I may have stumble into a possible thunar bug:
I tend to use some Appimages, so I have to make every Appimage file executable. I do that via Thunar's gui, but I noticed that everytime I do that (and that does not happen very often) Thunar refuses to show the "execute" option on the contextual menu even if I refresh it. I have to go down a level on my directory file tree (sorry, old ms-dos expression, but I belive it applies to any file system) and when I re-enter the file's directory, Thunar now shows the "execute" option.
If it's a bug (and not a feature) I hope I noticed this in time to get it fixed before the next release.
Keep up the good work, MX-team!

P.

fehlix
Developer

Re: Possible thunar bug: initially not showing "execute" option after changing file permitions

#2 Post by fehlix »

PPC wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:08 am Thunar now shows the "execute" option.
If it's a bug (and not a feature) I hope I noticed this in time to get it fixed before the next release.
It's a security feature in Xfce - see here: Xfce::Thunar::Frequently Asked Questions
Xfce::Thunar::Frequently Asked Questions wrote:
Why doesn't Thunar execute files marked as executable?

For security reasons Thunar only executes files of type application/x-desktop, application/x-executable and application/x-shellscript. For desktop files the execution feature will only be enabled if the desktop file is of type Application and a valid Exec line is given or of type Link and a valid URL is given. For the other types the feature is available if the file is marked executable for the current user.

Also note that for application/x-executable and application/x-shellscript, the types of the file don't really need to match these types exactly, but it is suffice if the detected type has a parent that matches one of the two types listed above, or if the MIME-type is an alias for one of the above.
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”