Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

MX Tweak suggestion

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
colin_b

MX Tweak suggestion

#1 Post by colin_b »

The only XFCE related configuration tool that isn't in MX Tweak is the whisker menu setup. Could this be added? The reason I ask is this would mean that users could easily configure their system from a single tool. The need to dig around for settings would be eliminated.

If the whisker menu setup was added to MX Tweak then the tool could conceivably be renamed MX Setup because that is what it effectively does. If it were called MX Setup then this would be displayed on the initial MX welcome screen, and if this was the case then it would become obvious where to set up MX Linux on first boot - it would make it a doddle to set up the panel position and settings, whisker menu, theme, compositor, etc even for people who are brand new to Linux. Also, reviewers complaints about the panel position should disappear.

Bliss.

:happy:

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: MX Tweak suggestion

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

colin_b wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:02 pm The only XFCE related configuration tool that isn't in MX Tweak is the whisker menu setup. Could this be added? The reason I ask is this would mean that users could easily configure their system from a single tool. The need to dig around for settings would be eliminated.

If the whisker menu setup was added to MX Tweak then the tool could conceivably be renamed MX Setup because that is what it effectively does. If it were called MX Setup then this would be displayed on the initial MX welcome screen, and if this was the case then it would become obvious where to set up MX Linux on first boot - it would make it a doddle to set up the panel position and settings, whisker menu, theme, compositor, etc even for people who are brand new to Linux. Also, reviewers complaints about the panel position should disappear.

Bliss.

:happy:

I've thought about it, but I'm going to wait until we transition to gtk3 based whisker rather than the current gtk2. the coding is vastly different for the two.

incidentally, the theme set function *can* adjust the whisker menu, if someone writes the code into a .tweak file.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

colin_b

Re: MX Tweak suggestion

#3 Post by colin_b »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:56 pm I've thought about it, but I'm going to wait until we transition to gtk3 based whisker rather than the current gtk2. the coding is vastly different for the two.
I look forward to seeing it.
dolphin_oracle wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:56 pm incidentally, the theme set function *can* adjust the whisker menu, if someone writes the code into a .tweak file.
Way too technical for me :confused:

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”