Sandisk Cruzer problem [solved]

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
Stevefisher

Sandisk Cruzer problem [solved]

#1 Post by Stevefisher »

When I switched from Windows to MX Linux I backed up all the files I wanted to keep on to a 64GB USB. Once I'd installed MX (complete clean sweep of the hard drive, no other partitions) I then put all my files back on the computer.
Now I've made a few changes to files and wanted to back them up on to the same USB but it won't let me as it says that it's read only! The Sandisk secure access software that was on the USB is a win.exe file so won't run, just says it needs a Sandisk flash drive?
I just want to clear the USB and have it formatted so that I can use it for read and write operations as a portable backup, can anyone help please.

ps I used up all my computer skills just getting MX installed, no idea about writing code in terminal windows!
Last edited by Stevefisher on Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

Re: Sandisk Cruzer problem

#2 Post by chrispop99 »

Have you tried formatting it using Gparted? (Make certain that you have the correct drive selected if you try this)

Is a Windows machine available that you can try in in?

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

PondLife

#3 Post by PondLife »

Video showing formatting a USB using Gparted its easier than explaining how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9zctyRP434

Note this is for Linux mint but it will work the same and you don't need to download it is in MX as standard.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#4 Post by Eadwine Rose »

I think he wants to use the files that are on there as they are and replace as needed. Formatting would get rid of them.

You could copy all of them over to your harddrive, format the disk and put them back but I think you'll still have that read only issue.

Asking those more in the know: Would opening the disk as root work and then set the permissions of everything on there to the user, because that is what I think is the case here (everything is root only)?
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#5 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Stevefisher wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:42 am When I switched from Windows to MX Linux I backed up all the files I wanted to keep on to a 64GB USB. Once I'd installed MX (complete clean sweep of the hard drive, no other partitions) I then put all my files back on the computer.
Now I've made a few changes to files and wanted to back them up on to the same USB but it won't let me as it says that it's read only! The Sandisk secure access software that was on the USB is a win.exe file so won't run, just says it needs a Sandisk flash drive?
I just want to clear the USB and have it formatted so that I can use it for read and write operations as a portable backup, can anyone help please.

ps I used up all my computer skills just getting MX installed, no idea about writing code in terminal windows!
Do you know how the drive is formatted? (fat, ntfs, ext4, exfat?).
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Stevefisher

#6 Post by Stevefisher »

Thanks for all the help guys, I watched the youtube video, found Gparted and formatted the USB, I wasn't bothered about losing the files as they'd already been transferred.
Once formatted the USB was OK for write operations so I've now got a current backup of all my files.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#7 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Great! :) Can you mark the topic solved? (editing the first post you made and putting [solved] in the title there.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

Stevefisher

#8 Post by Stevefisher »

Eadwine Rose wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:48 pm Great! :) Can you mark the topic solved? (editing the first post you made and putting [solved] in the title there.
Done

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”