[solved] MX Menu editor - adding new app window disappears and newly added app not instantly reflected

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
postcd

[solved] MX Menu editor - adding new app window disappears and newly added app not instantly reflected

#1 Post by postcd »

Hello,
System: Host: lynx Kernel: 4.15.0-1-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3
Distro: MX-17.1_x64 Horizon March 14 2018
when i right click MX menu icon on the sidebar, then click "Edit Applications", then click System category, then click "Add custom application", fill app name, description, then click to browse for the app (at this moment the "Add custom app window is backrounded behind MX menu editor window, which seems wrong), then i select my app, it is .exe file (in my case rufus-2.17p.exe) and when i click to confirm selection, the "Add custom application" window disappear into the background which seems wrong.. at foreground is just MX menu editor. When i then finish filling everything in "Add custom application" dialog and confirm, then i can not find the app by name in Mx menu editor, though it was added to the menu (just do not appear in MX Menu editor). TO appear in menu editor, i need to close and open the MX menu editor to see it.
Maybe a cosmetic issues..

MX Menu Editor: Version: 18.10.1
Last edited by postcd on Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adrian
Developer

Re: MX Menu editor - adding new app window disappears and newly added app not instantly reflected

#2 Post by Adrian »

I think it's possible to select the window from the windows tabs but it's obviously a bug, I have a fix it should show up shortly (give it a day) in the regular updates.
Thanks for the detailed report, mx-menu-editor is a bit of a black sheep of the MX apps I don't really use it so I cannot catch this kind of bugs by dog-fooding the app.

fehlix
Developer

Re: MX Menu editor - adding new app window disappears and newly added app not instantly reflected

#3 Post by fehlix »

Adrian wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:24 pm I have a fix it should show up shortly (give it a day) in the regular updates.
Adrian,
as you are in the code anyway, Could you also fix a long outstanding issue,
which I have forgotten to mention for a long time ... :lipsrsealed:
When you create a new menu entry, the created desktop.file is
missing the "Type=Application" line, which make it as an invalid desktop-file for applications.
And without this line the created starter causing lot of issues:
You cannot edit the starter with the menu by right click.
Putting the starter from the menu onto the desktop will trigger an error when
you try to start/click on this desktop-icon.
Thanks
fehlix
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Adrian
Developer

#4 Post by Adrian »

OK, that was super-easy :)

postcd

#5 Post by postcd »

Thank you, i run Update i attempted to add new menu entry and see the issue i described was fixed. ;)

Though i do not see a delete button nowhere in MX Menu editor (18.10.3) so i would be able to delete this testing entry i tried to add.
Also i do not see it when i find the program using MX menu and right click the program entry / Edit application. Anyone knows a workaround to delete mx menu entry?

fehlix
Developer

#6 Post by fehlix »

postcd wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:38 am Though i do not see a delete button nowhere in MX Menu editor (18.10.3) so i would be able to delete this testing entry i tried to add.
Changing/adding menu-entries with Menu-Editor will place newly or modified desktop-files within $HOME/.local/share/applications.
Within the current implementation of MX Menu Editor, removing newly created desktop-entries/menu-entries
is not supported. Instead the functionality of hiding menu-items is provided.

Workaround: To really delete the menu-entries just open navigate to folder $HOME/.local/share/applications
and delete unwanted items.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

manyroads

Re: [solved] MX Menu editor - adding new app window disappears and newly added app not instantly reflected

#7 Post by manyroads »

moved to new topic by author....
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”