MX Package Installer: Liquorix kernel installed, not greyed out in list, uninstall option not available

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
ARandomScientist

MX Package Installer: Liquorix kernel installed, not greyed out in list, uninstall option not available

#1 Post by ARandomScientist »

Hi.

This is my first post to the MX Linux forums, so may I start by saying that I love this distro. Just started using it a month ago and I'm thoroughly impressed.

Now, onto business, I installed the Liquorix kernel through the MX Package Installer. After installation competing mostly successfully¹ I restarted the machine and noticed that the 'Liquorix 64 bit' kernel entry in the kernel list in the MX Package Installer wasn't greyed out like 'MX 4.15' was, and I couldn't select it and uninstall it. I could "Install" it again, but not remove it. To be sure this wasn't something that could be fixed simply, I installed an update—a single package needed updating, I don't think it's at all relevant—and rebooted. I opened MX Package Installer and the problem persists.

Here's a screenshot:

I've also never submitted a bug report before, so if there's anything I should add, please let me know.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
¹ There were some warnings being treated as errors about VirtualBox guest stuff, but since I don't plan on using VirtualBox on this machine, I don't really care.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: MX Package Installer: Liquorix kernel installed, not greyed out in list, uninstall option not available

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

The "latest" liquorix kernel installer is a little.bit of a cheat. That package updates quite a bit so that one points to a metapackage that is removed after installaton of the kernel.

The upside is that when new liquorix kernels are added the same routine brings the newer kernel in. The downside is what you've descibed. However the kernels are uninstall able via all the other apt tools (cli, synaptic, and mx-pi 's stabe tab.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Stevo
Developer

Re: MX Package Installer: Liquorix kernel installed, not greyed out in list, uninstall option not available

#3 Post by Stevo »

You can remove the virtualbox guest packages safely if you're not running in Virtual Box; they are just there so MX runs much better there out of the ...Box.

If you do need Vbox, the newer kernels need the version from the test repository or stretch-backports. The same holds for several other drivers.

ARandomScientist

#4 Post by ARandomScientist »

So this isn't a bug, it's an known side effect of an intentional decision by the MX Team or the Liquorix devs?

Also, I'm not sure which packages I'd uninstall to remove Liquorix completely.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#5 Post by dolphin_oracle »

ARandomScientist wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:09 am So this isn't a bug, it's an known side effect of an intentional decision by the MX Team or the Liquorix devs?

Also, I'm not sure which packages I'd uninstall to remove Liquorix completely.
linux-image-whatever-version-was-installed-liquorix-architecture
linux-headers-whatever-version-was-installed-liquorix-architecture

that should do it.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”