My PC not booting MX at all (doesn't even get to GRUB)

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
chrispop99
Global Moderator

Re: My PC not booting MX at all (doesn't even get to GRUB)

#11 Post by chrispop99 »

All it can do is trying to boot with PXE
Forget about PXE (Preboot Execution Environment) - it is a form of booting used when you don't have an installed OS, but have the necessary files for booting stored on a network server somewhere.

The only reason your BIOS is trying to do that is because it can't find anything on your machine to boot from, which is why I suggested you did the HDD check.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

fatmac

#12 Post by fatmac »

stevedude

#13 Post by stevedude »

I experienced a similar issue when i installed MX_Linux about a week ago. Installed fine, then an update came through and I couldn't boot into my system either. To follow up with what @KoO stated:

First I booted to Live CD and tried the MX Boot repair which didn't work. I used Rescatux/Super Grub2 Disk but that did not fix my grub menu from not appearing, so I also tried Boot-Repair (https://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/ you can download from: https://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/) and that did work. It got my grub menu back. There are command line references on the Internet too, but these graphical utilities are easier to work with.

I believe you can substitute 'Ubuntu' for MX Linux: https://askubuntu.com/questions/88384/h ... ng-windows
OS:MX-19.2_x64|Kernel:4.15.0-1-amd64 x86_64|Xfce 4.14.2|Mobo:TUF X470-PLUS|CPU AMD Ryzen 5, 2600 MHz
Graphics:GeForce GTX 1060,driver:nvidia v:390.77|Audio:NVIDIA snd_hda_intel
Netwrk:Realtek RTL8111|Seagate:ST2000DM006, 1.82 TB|Mem:15.6 GB

larryg

#14 Post by larryg »

Have you already tried to go into BIOS settings and making sure that "Enable Legacy Boot" is still selected?

catalinux

#15 Post by catalinux »

larryg wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:21 am Have you already tried to go into BIOS settings and making sure that "Enable Legacy Boot" is still selected?
Luckly, my PC came with legacy boot enabled out of the box :D that's how I got MX up and running on it on less than 4 minutes.

Edit: and yes, I did see the legacy boot option still selected.
stevedude wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:13 am I also tried Boot-Repair (https://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/ you can download from: https://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/) and that did work. It got my grub menu back.
Did you left the default options? I did and it said that the boot files are far from the disk.

I'll download MX Linux again to make a live USB and see what can I do from the command line
Acer Aspire One D260
Lately got a Lenovo V110-15ISK too

Richard

#16 Post by Richard »

I had a similar situation last night, only not a problem booting, just had to wait for it to timeout.
I had always seen the notice at boot but it never stopped there until last night.

Checking in the BIOS, I found that "Enable Legacy Boot" was deactivated.
Activated same and my laptop boots even faster and that warning never appears, now.

Apparently there was something I didn't check when I initially set up the T430 in December.
Maybe the recent update, awakened something?
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

stevedude

#17 Post by stevedude »

Did you left the default options? I did and it said that the boot files are far from the disk.
Fortunately, yes, all I did was choose the default [recommended] option and it worked. The message you received seems to indicate a Master Boot Record issue which tells the system how and where your OS is located. However, and don't quote me on this, but I believe UEFI systems do not need to have the MBR near the start of the disk.

You can retry Boot-Repair with "Advanced Options": Image (The pic is just a reference, not what options you should choose)

or see if you can get a copy of "TestDisk" and boot into that to identify/repair any disk issues. [Reference] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootSectorFix
OS:MX-19.2_x64|Kernel:4.15.0-1-amd64 x86_64|Xfce 4.14.2|Mobo:TUF X470-PLUS|CPU AMD Ryzen 5, 2600 MHz
Graphics:GeForce GTX 1060,driver:nvidia v:390.77|Audio:NVIDIA snd_hda_intel
Netwrk:Realtek RTL8111|Seagate:ST2000DM006, 1.82 TB|Mem:15.6 GB

catalinux

#18 Post by catalinux »

stevedude wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:26 am However, and don't quote me on this, but I believe UEFI systems do not need to have the MBR near the start of the disk.
I quoted you, not just because I wanted to be a rebel (*sarcasm*), but because that was what seemed to be the issue. I gave up and went on reinstalling my system. I also tried to take advantage of the situation and shrink the root partition since 268 GB for a Linux system seemed too much for now. However, after resizing the root partition, Gparted threw me an error that the system is too far from the begining of the disk and this might cause the system not to boot up or something. So I just backed up everything I could from the home folder and selected the option to install on all the disk in the MX installer (didn't go to custom install anymore and wiped the whole disk).

I really don't know what did I do wrong when partitioning the disk in the first place since my partitions were listed in GParted in the order I mentioned them in a previous reply in the thread.

Thanks for all the help anyway.
Acer Aspire One D260
Lately got a Lenovo V110-15ISK too

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”