[solved] mx-17 freezing

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
wellsey

[solved] mx-17 freezing

#1 Post by wellsey »

I have been using exclusively ( and enjoying MX ) for a month now, but 2 or 3 times it has freezed up and left me no alternative but to press the power-button. The latest event was tonight. I was in Nomacs paging through photos in my dropbox folder when it suddenly froze. At the same time in the background I had firefox ( only a few tabs, no video playing ),thunderbird, and package installer window up on the desktop.
  • have I any options in that situation? I cant kill anything its all frozen
  • Any suggestions as to what the problem could be?

Code: Select all

System:    Host: mx Kernel: 4.15.0-1-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 
           Distro: MX-17.1_x64 Horizon March 14, 2018 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Dell product: Latitude E4310 v: 0001 serial: <root required> 
           Mobo: Dell model: 0D8H24 v: A00 serial: <root required> BIOS: Dell v: A06 
           date: 02/15/2011 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 46.5 Wh condition: 49.4/48.8 Wh (101%) 
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i5 M 560 bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
           L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
           Speed: 1941 MHz min/max: 1199/2667 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1332 2: 1318 3: 1247 
           4: 1357 
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
           resolution: 1366x768~60Hz, 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ironlake Mobile v: 2.1 Mesa 13.0.6 
Audio:     Card-1: Intel 5 Series/3400 Series High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Card-2: Logitech Webcam C270 type: USB driver: snd-usb-audio 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-1-amd64 
Network:   Card-1: Intel 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e 
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: 5c:26:0a:4a:f6:f1 
           Card-2: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 driver: iwlwifi 
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 18:3d:a2:28:b5:28 
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 223.57 GiB used: 23.75 GiB (10.6%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: SanDisk model: SDSSDA240G size: 223.57 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 108.98 GiB used: 23.75 GiB (21.8%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 52.0 C mobo: N/A sodimm: 48.0 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 3084 
Repos:     Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list 
           1: deb http://nl.mxrepo.com/antix/stretch/ stretch main
           No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-Horizon.list 
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-stable-updates.list 
           1: deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates non-free contrib main
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list 
           1: deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free
           2: deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list 
           1: deb [arch=amd64] http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mx.list 
           1: deb http://nl.mxrepo.com/mx/repo/ stretch main non-free
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/skype-stable.list 
           1: deb [arch=amd64] https://repo.skype.com/deb stable main
           No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/various.list 
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vivaldi.list 
           1: deb http://repo.vivaldi.com/stable/deb/ stable main
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vscode.list 
           1: deb [arch=amd64] http://packages.microsoft.com/repos/vscode/ stable main
Info:      Processes: 240 Uptime: 5m Memory: 3.66 GiB used: 1.72 GiB (47.1%) Shell: init 
           inxi: 3.0.10 
Last edited by wellsey on Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There's no limit to what he can do. He could destroy the Earth... If anything should happen to me you must go to Gort, you must say these words, 'Klaatu barada nikto', please repeat that."

Dell Latitude E4310 I5 8GB 256GB SSD

Mauser

Re: mx-17 freezing

#2 Post by Mauser »

Hitting the power button is not a good, but I guess you didn't know there are alternatives. I suggest you install and configure xkill and use it to unfreeze your computer.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#3 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Mauser wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:40 pm Hitting the power button is not a good, but I guess you didn't know there are alternatives. I suggest you install and configure xkill and use it to unfreeze your computer.
that's a good idea. xkill is pre-installed. just hit ctrl+alt+esc, the cursor should change to an X and you can kill a window.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

richb
Administrator

#4 Post by richb »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:41 pm
Mauser wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:40 pm Hitting the power button is not a good, but I guess you didn't know there are alternatives. I suggest you install and configure xkill and use it to unfreeze your computer.
that's a good idea. xkill is pre-installed. just hit ctrl+alt+esc, the cursor should change to an X and you can kill a window.
As long as it is not a complete freeze, no keyboard input, which can happen. Sometimes hitting the power button is the only choice. Usually it does not cause a problem.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Mauser

#5 Post by Mauser »

richb wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:44 pm
dolphin_oracle wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:41 pm
As long as it is not a complete freeze, no keyboard input, which can happen. Sometimes hitting the power button is the only choice. Usually it does not cause a problem.
That's true. The last time I experience a freeze like that was with Windows 98se which those kind of freezes or any other kind of freezes for that matter were a common occurrence. I do say that Bill Gates picked a lovely shade of blue for the blue screen of death. :wink:
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

wellsey

#6 Post by wellsey »

Thanks all, you are right I did not know about the ctrl+alt+esc option, I think though, entire keyboard was locked up. I seem to remember that the last time it locked like this was also when I was going through photos, so I just checked to see whether nomacs launches multiple instances on repeated hitting the next button ( causing memory to fill ) .... it does n't. Could it be video driver problem?
"There's no limit to what he can do. He could destroy the Earth... If anything should happen to me you must go to Gort, you must say these words, 'Klaatu barada nikto', please repeat that."

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#7 Post by chrispop99 »

I haven't been able to simulate this problem. I can only suggest two things to try.

Random freezes can sometimes be caused by bad RAM. Run MemTest86 from the GRUB menu, preferably overnight.

If that passes OK, temporarily install another image viewer. Mirage is lightweight, and available from the Package Installer.

Please report anything you find.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

spandey

#8 Post by spandey »

Do you have a SWAP partition enabled?

wellsey

#9 Post by wellsey »

spandey wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:53 am Do you have a SWAP partition enabled?
chrispop99 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:25 am Run MemTest86 from the GRUB menu
Yes, I installed with a swap partition 6GB if I remember correctly ( at work at moment), I don't remember doing anything to enable it, can I check? I will try memtest and the alternative imageviewer tonight
I have bad problems with smooth scrolling in firefox so I thought video driver might be a problem

Mauser

#10 Post by Mauser »

I would suggest you install gThumb to replace nomac to see if that helps because I have had printer issues with nomac.

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”