Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

[Solved] OpenGL problem when trying to launch DOTA 2

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
catalinux

[Solved] OpenGL problem when trying to launch DOTA 2

#1 Post by catalinux »

Hi!

whenever I try to open DOTA 2 I get this error:
http://i.imgur.com/Ptsjlxc.png

At first I thought it was maybe because MX needs to update OpenGL in order to work. But the problem isn't going for a month. But when I checked DOTA 2's store page on Steam I saw that I was meeting the minimum requirements. More specific:
  • Graphics: nVidia Geforce 8600/9600GT (Driver v331), AMD HD 2xxx-4xxx (Driver mesa 10.5.9), AMD HD 5xxx+ (Driver mesa 10.5.9 or Catalyst 15.7), Intel HD 3000 (Driver mesa 10.6) -----> these are the minimum requirements for running the game on Linux
  • Card-1: Intel HD Graphics 520 driver: i915 v: kernel
    Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa
    resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
    OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 520 (Skylake GT2)
    v: 4.5 Mesa 13.0.6 -------> this is what I've got
Any solution for this? I'd really not want to go with WINE for this game.
Last edited by catalinux on Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Acer Aspire One D260
Lately got a Lenovo V110-15ISK too

timkb4cq
Developer

Re: OpenGL problem when trying to launch DOTA 2

#2 Post by timkb4cq »

Well, your setup should support it, but how about running these commands and pasting the output back here to see if your setup shows that it supports it.
run:

Code: Select all

glxinfo | grep st3
and see if GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc shows up in the list. Also include:

Code: Select all

glxinfo | grep OpenGL
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

S3 texture compression was protected by patents until last September, so Debian Stretch has a lower performance libtxc-dxtn-s2tc package that'll substitute for it, or you can now legally use deb-multimedia's libtxc-dxtn0 which has s3tc.

An alternative is to upgrade to the Mesa 17.3.9 stack in stretch-backports, which also should support it natively: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... sa-Finally

catalinux

#4 Post by catalinux »

Thanks! I installed the libtxc-dxtn-s2tc library since libtxc-dxtn0 asked me to uninstall libtxc-dxtn-s2tc:i386 and even Steam itself (don't know why, but I didn't want to uninstall and reinstall the stuff and maybe lose some data in the process). Looking forward for Mesa 17.3.9 in the main repos in the near future :D
Acer Aspire One D260

Stevo
Developer

#5 Post by Stevo »

catalinux wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:25 am Thanks! I installed the libtxc-dxtn-s2tc library since libtxc-dxtn0 asked me to uninstall libtxc-dxtn-s2tc:i386 and even Steam itself (don't know why, but I didn't want to uninstall and reinstall the stuff and maybe lose some data in the process). Looking forward for Mesa 17.3.9 in the main repos in the near future :D
I doubt that we want to force that upgrade onto all users by putting it into main. It's really only needed now for the correct open GL acceleration if you have cutting edge stuff like Intel 8th-gen Coffee Lake graphics. We actually have Mesa 18.0.4 in an experimental branch off of the test repo: http://mxrepo.com/mx/experimental/pool/test/m/mesa/

When we start getting more and more issues with new hardware, as will surely happen, we'll consider moving the experimental packages to the test repo. But we also might begin working on a Buster-based MX 19 instead, since Buster is supposed to be entering a freeze soon for a early 2019 release.
Last edited by Stevo on Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

catalinux

#6 Post by catalinux »

There's no rush for it. I don't want a forced update to it either since I know there might be some stability and compatibility issues. What I meant was that I'm patient enough for the future OS releases (either Debian or MX) for Mesa to be refined enough for the stable repos. I didn't mean to rush anything :D

Anyway, DOTA moves great. I only had the issue ofXfce panels overlaping the game window. But as a workaround I made the panels auto-hide and they stay hidden even when getting the cursor near them (weird, but works tho)
Acer Aspire One D260

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”