battery drain in suspended state

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
gabret

battery drain in suspended state

#1 Post by gabret »

hi,
anybody can help me, don't know if it's normal
I have to shut down my notebook when I suspend my work
checking out with suspend and closing the notebook is not enough, because my battery gets discharged in a few hours
may be a bios problem, may be a software problem,
any useful advice is appreciated

here is my system config:

System: Host: Xia-NB Kernel: 4.14.0-3-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3
Distro: MX-17.1_x64 Horizon December 15, 2017
Machine: Type: Laptop System: Timi product: TM1612 v: N/A serial: <root required>
Mobo: Timi model: TM1612 v: MP serial: <root required> UEFI: INSYDE v: A04
date: 08/06/2016
Battery: ID-1: BAT0 charge: 30.5 Wh condition: 34.3/36.5 Wh (94%)
CPU: Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core m3-6Y30 bits: 64 type: MT MCP
L2 cache: 4096 KiB
Speed: 600 MHz min/max: 400/2200 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 600 2: 600 3: 600 4: 600
Graphics: Card-1: Intel HD Graphics 515 driver: i915 v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa
resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 515 (Skylake GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 13.0.6
Audio: Card-1: Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.14.0-3-amd64
Network: Card-1: Intel Wireless 8260 driver: iwlwifi
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: a0:c5:89:23:b3:06
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1.36 TiB used: 6.21 GiB (0.4%)
ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Samsung model: SSD 960 EVO 500GB size: 465.76 GiB
ID-2: /dev/sda vendor: Samsung model: SSD 850 EVO M.2 1TB size: 931.51 GiB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 167.66 GiB used: 6.18 GiB (3.7%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p3
ID-2: swap-1 size: 3.92 GiB used: 768 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/nvme0n1p4
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 36.0 C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Repos: Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list
1: deb http://it.mxrepo.com/antix/stretch/ stretch main
Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-stable-updates.list
1: deb http://ftp.hu.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main contrib non-free
Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list
1: deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free
2: deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free
Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mx.list
1: deb http://it.mxrepo.com/mx/repo/ stretch main non-free
Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/stretch-backports.list
1: deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch-backports main
No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/various.list
Info: Processes: 195 Uptime: 59m Memory: 3.77 GiB used: 2.58 GiB (68.5%) Shell: init
inxi: 3.0.10

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: battery drain in suspended state

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

I googled "linux test laptop battery" and saw this useful page:

https://linoxide.com/linux-how-to/check ... -terminal/

Maybe that will help, but it might also be that your machine is not actually suspending. So the I googled "linux test suspension" where there is lots of good advice. This seems like a start:

1) Test ability to suspend

Code: Select all

sudo pm-suspend
If you don't suspend, and get no output why, check your recent dmesg output

Code: Select all

dmesg | tail -50
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

gabret

#3 Post by gabret »

thank you Jarry
1. yes, the "pm-suspend" does suspend my notebook, i.e. first box checked
2. I don't quite see how the upower and acpi commands (at your link reference) can help solve my problem
if I understand correctly it would only provide more precise information what I already see hovering over the battery icon on the panel
but thank you anyway, I'll have to further investigate those google hits you suggested

Stevo
Developer

#4 Post by Stevo »

This is one of things that a BIOS update might fix, if it's available.

Otherwise, you could try a newer kernel to see if that makes any difference, though I have my doubts about that. Maybe some USB ports are being left energized during the suspend, or wake on LAN, so you can try disabling those in the BIOS or with powertop, too.

m_pav
Developer

#5 Post by m_pav »

Battery should deplete very slowly while in suspend, that's because the RAM memory is kept alive. The longest I've left my T560 in suspend mode was 4 days and the batteries were under 20% when I powered up again. Hibernate is where no battery is used, but with the speed of MX's bootup, I never use it, plus it can be flaky on some machines. Best use for hibernate is when you have a SSD installed because the data written to the drive can in some instances be quite sizeable, but for spinning platters, boot speed is much the same, except you're brought back to where you left off.

Laptops need special consideration because some have USB charging enabled, even when the machine is turned off, so leaving something plugged into one of the charging ports can potentially consume your batteries charge.

Your 3 hours battery run-down suggests to me only the most basic power down is happening and you should spend a little time in your PM settings. Have a look at your screensaver settings and in particular, the advanced tab. I have my Display Power Management set to blank after 5, suspend after 10 and power down after 12 minutes.
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Daily) Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSD, MX_ahs
(ManCave) AMD FX 6100 CPU, nVidia, 8Gb, 3.25TB mixed, MX_ahs
(Spare)2017 Macbook Air 7,2, 8GB, 256GB SSD, MX_ahs

gabret

#6 Post by gabret »

thank you Stevo,
an experiment I've done recently leads me to that kind of direction
I have an old Lenovo T60. I put the same MX-17.1 on it just to see what happens to the battery in suspend state
and it turns out it keeps its charging level nicely.
so does this experiment prove that the problem is in the hardware and not in MX-17, I wonder?
there are a lot of variables in this setup. some application may also be the source of my problem. that runs in the background and unexpectedly awakes the suspended machine
anyways, I will check out if there's a bios update, thank you

m_pav
Developer

#7 Post by m_pav »

Bluetooth can be a problem, check that too.
I have a Logitech M557 Bluetooth mouse which I can not use with MX because it causes suspend to fail with it's constant polling. Battery life with that mouse turned on and paired is 5.5 hours operational, or 9-10 hours in standby. My CPU enters a lower power state, the screen blanks but the session is not locked and it can not enter suspend. 2 weeks with that mouse was more than enough.
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Daily) Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSD, MX_ahs
(ManCave) AMD FX 6100 CPU, nVidia, 8Gb, 3.25TB mixed, MX_ahs
(Spare)2017 Macbook Air 7,2, 8GB, 256GB SSD, MX_ahs

gabret

#8 Post by gabret »

Mike, you may be quite right. Why bother with a non-functioning suspend when MX boots up in 15 secs?
Well, I have to reopen all the application windows that were open, which may be a bit inconvenient, that's true, but from the kind comments I receive here in the Forum, seems to me that this "suspend" story is not that simple. Depends on many components, and there's no universal solution, every case is unique and needs thorough investigation.
Thank you all for your advice, I will report back when I found a solution to my case.

Stevo
Developer

#9 Post by Stevo »

If you can't fix suspend2ram, a sort of workaround might be using hibernate instead of suspend if you are shutting down for more than an hour or two.

Pesonal story--I now have a bleeding edge Intel 8th gen Coffee Lake lapton, and using the "intel" driver had some issues, but less than the default modesetting driver. One of the bugs was having menu items and titlebar buttons randomly become invisible after resuming from hibernation (s2ram was OK).

A couple days ago, I ported over the xserver-xorg-video-intel driver current git pull over from the PPA, and that solved all the issues, as far as I can tell. It's now in the experimental repo, along with the newer Mesa stack that Coffee Lake also requires. So resuming from hibernation takes roughly the same amount of time as a boot to GUI on this machine, with all the extra widgets I have running on the taskbar.

gabret

#10 Post by gabret »

Hi, I didn't show up for a while.
This was because I wanted to be sure that what I see is not just by accident. I can now report that for a couple of days now my notebook keeps its charging fairly in suspend state. I'm not 100 pct sure how did I make it, I was fiddling with PM settings. What helped most likely is that I changed the setting of what happens when laptop lid is closed to hibernate.

Once again thank you everyone for your kind advises. It is very reassuring for the linux newby like me, that there is a community that I can always turn to if I have a problem.

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”