TRUE session save possible? MX Tools? How?

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
HessenZone

TRUE session save possible? MX Tools? How?

#1 Post by HessenZone »

Hi all. This is a bit of a problem but it's also an MX Tools or perhaps a Tweak request at the same time. Anyway, I've been using Linux for years and I really like the possibility of a saved session (not in a live boot, but in an installed setup). I've used various Linux distros in the past, but no matter what I try, my user sessions never get fully saved. I'm the only user on my machine, so there's no conflict with other installed users or open sessions. I would like to be able to save a WORKING/RUNNING session exactly as it is running when I decide to log out or to reboot the system. The biggest issue is during reboots.
I get back the terminal, a single open folder, and one application after a reboot, but that's it. The application isn't always the same either.

Years ago I was able to accomplish what I'm looking for with compiz, since compiz provides the ability for custom placement and window sizes across numerous different applications.

Ideally I'm looking for a point 'n' click solution which allows me to save my entire running session - to automatically resume - after doing a reboot. This would include 3 open Thunar windows in 3 different locations (all internal ext4 so automatically mounted), one open terminal, one open libreoffice template, one open pdf file, and one open GIMP (but GIMP on Workspace 3). Ubuntu, Mint, MX, Debian, Xubuntu, none of them ever came close to saving my entire running session. To me, there's no point in enabling the save session option, if I then have to fiddle afterwards anyway, to have my session appear as I like. Is there a simple way to get this done? Could it be implemented for all users to click on as an actual viable option?
Is there something that I can do right now (terminal or otherwise, but not too complex) to achieve this?
Thanks.

MX Linux Rocks, in America, in Europa, in Australien, einfach ÜBERALL. :linuxlove:

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: TRUE session save possible? MX Tools? How?

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

I think you can use the "Session and Startup" tool to save a session. But if the autosave at logout isn't working, that might not either.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

HessenZone

#3 Post by HessenZone »

No such luck. It's an issue that I've been dealing with for years. I don't even understand why there is such a thing as save session, if it won't really do whatever's necessary to save the entire session. I just tried it again, but this time I had enabled to have KDE & Gnome services start up too, since I do utilize some apps from both. As before, the terminal came back, Thunderbird was the only other application which came back, and that's it. Everything else had to be set up from scratch again.
Next I'll be trying the same thing with systemd, since I never tried that on a systemd based distro with KDE & Gnome services enabled.

MX Linux Rocks, in America, in Europa, in Australien, einfach ÜBERALL. :linuxlove:

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#4 Post by chrispop99 »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:50 am I think you can use the "Session and Startup" tool to save a session. But if the autosave at logout isn't working, that might not either.
I've tested that in the past, and just checked again, but it appears to randomly choose what to restart. I use three virtual desktops, and the things that do get restarted are not where I left them.

(KDE's equivalent is no better!)

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

HessenZone

#5 Post by HessenZone »

Supposedly Gnome & Cinnamon both have session managers which are able to save the entire user session. Looking at the description for the XFCE session manager, all that one is supposed to be able to do, is to restore prior window sizes & locations once they're re-opened. Although, that never seems to work either. Anytime that more than 2 or 3 windows are involved, saving any part of the session reliably appears to literally be touch 'n' go only, mostly not working. That's actually kind'a backward thinking (IMO) since those people who have the most to benefit from saved sessions - are the ones that always have an average of 5+ open applications which they need to get back to working with as quickly or conveniently as possible.
Hear that, developers of MX Tools & Tweak?
An actual, reliably working session manager, for all open workspaces! Wouldn't that be awesome? ;)
mxlinux_session_manager.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HessenZone

#6 Post by HessenZone »

This link actually talks about the very same thing, not related to XFCE though. But that's what I'd like to be able to achieve:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/193569/ ... top-layout

In conjunction with ...
https://github.com/johannesjo/linux-win ... on-manager

All of that packaged into an MX specific clickable button with additional tweak options window. That would totally :rock:

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”