mx-switchuser issue/bug

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
oops

mx-switchuser issue/bug

#1 Post by oops »

Hello,
When I use "mx-switchuser" to open an other user session, and then , an other one for 3 users or more (then crtl+Alt+F7 or F8 switching is not always possible with more than 2 users), and when I want to go back to a previous user session (via disconnect and new session) I have to put each times the password 2 times to open the related user session, so it's a bit annoying.
I hope this issue can be resolved.
Edit: Or maybe a workaround already exists to have , for example for 3 users respectively: crtl+Alt+F7 or crtl+Alt+F8 or crtl+Alt+F9 ?
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

fehlix
Developer

Re: mx-switchuser issue/bug

#2 Post by fehlix »

oops wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:45 pm Hello,
When I use "mx-switchuser" to open an other user session, and then , an other one for 3 users or more (then crtl+Alt+F7 or F8 switching is not always possible with more than 2 users), and when I want to go back to a previous user session (via disconnect and new session) I have to put each times the password 2 times to open the related user session, so it's a bit annoying.
I hope this issue can be resolved.
Edit: Or maybe a workaround already exists to have , for example for 3 users respectively: crtl+Alt+F7 or crtl+Alt+F8 or crtl+Alt+F9 ?
You can only switch between two sessions using Ctrl+Alt+F7/F8.
Use Ctrl+Alt+F7 to switch to 1st user session and use Ctrl+Alt+F8 switch to 2nd user session.
If you have more than 2 LigthDM sessions you can select the user-session from the Login/UnLock-Screen.
Click on MX-Switch-User brings you always to the Login/UnLock-Screen.
Just place the Switch User icon onto the pannel so you can get to Login/UnLock-Screen with one click.
Not a bug, it's a feature ;)
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

oops

#3 Post by oops »

fehlix wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:54 pm ... You can only switch between two sessions using Ctrl+Alt+F7/F8.
... Just place the Switch User icon onto the pannel so you can get to Login/UnLock-Screen with one click.
Not a bug, it's a feature ;)
Hello Fehlix,
Right, in fact the mx-switchuser feature seems to be useful only with 2 user sessions ... but why not having the ability to switch between 3 (or 4 sessions or defined number of x sessions) instead only two in this case to improve this functionality.
I have find a workaround for third users by opening a new x terminal manually (crtl+alt+F0 for example + login + startx) by this way I can now switch between F0 ou F7 or F8. but it is not very user friendly.

PS: "Just place the Switch User icon onto the pannel... " yes, it's in fact already done .
Anyway thank you for the precisions.
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

Jerry3904
Administrator

#4 Post by Jerry3904 »

It might be worth looking at in the future.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

oops

#5 Post by oops »

Jerry3904 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:52 pm It might be worth looking at in the future.
Right, in fact, the urgency is not very high, this can be of course postponed ... thank you Jerry for the info.

Adrian
Developer

#6 Post by Adrian »

I'm not sure I understand the problem, I do switch user and then I can log in to second user, then I do switch user and log in to third user then I can switch between users with CTRL-ALT-F7/F8/F9 what's the problem with the third user? (I think it will go up to F10 or F12 but I didn't try).

oops

#7 Post by oops »

Adrian wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:54 pm I'm not sure I understand the problem, I do switch user and then I can log in to second user, then I do switch user and log in to third user then I can switch between users with CTRL-ALT-F7/F8/F9 what's the problem with the third user? (I think it will go up to F10 or F12 but I didn't try).
Yes, the issue is a little bit more complex than this ... I will try to explain this issue better, more accurately (with my English).
First, if you do not use the mx-switchuser way to open a new session, then you are always to the F7 position.(no issue here for this behavior)

Second, If a second session is opened by the mx-switchuser way then you can switch to F7 or F8, if a third user session is opened you can switch with F7 or F8 or F9, and so ... (no issue here for this behavior too)

The issue is within the mixed way/mode here:
Because for each user I have configured a time out - a pause after about 20 minutes (for a power saving mode, "mise en veille" in French)
then the only way for this third user (or second or else) if not already connected via the mx-swichuser way, can be only done via the standard login menu (so, since then, I can say goodbye for the switchuser functionality)
... And into this situation, the password is required twice if you want to connect you again (it is the related issue/bug of this post).

Maybe, the standard login way should affect by default automatically (or with an option) this switching ability way:mode F7,F8,F9 etc.?

I hope it is more clear, sorry for my approximate english, but even in French this behavior is not easy to explain;

fehlix
Developer

#8 Post by fehlix »

Adrian wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:54 pm I'm not sure I understand the problem, I do switch user and then I can log in to second user, then I do switch user and log in to third user then I can switch between users with CTRL-ALT-F7/F8/F9 what's the problem with the third user? (I think it will go up to F10 or F12 but I didn't try).
@Adrian. You are right! :exclamation: And I need to adjust my answer above as follows:

You can switch between up to 6 user sessions using Ctrl+Alt+F7 … F12.
If more than 6 sessions are running, you can access the 7th and higher
session via the login/unlock screen by clicking the Switch User icon again.

Even if you have opened the login/unlock screen, you can still use
Ctrl+Alt+F7...F12 to return to one of the first 6 user-sessions.
I've tested this with 7 running user sessions.

Further we might consider expressing this more clearly within the shown
pop-up message of "Switch User" which somehow makes it not as obvious
that you can switch between up to 6 sessions so easily. The current
message might just be misleading the user a bit:
Switch User Pop-Up Message wrote: This tool allows you to switch to a different user without closing down
your current session. To return to the original user, simply press
Ctrl-Alt-F7. Go back again with Ctrl-Alt-F8.

oops

#9 Post by oops »

fehlix wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:20 am ...The current message might just be misleading the user a bit:
Yes ... And, maybe to be even more accurate, and to show the other possible combinations:
Switch User Pop-Up Message wrote: This tool allows you to switch to a different user without closing down
Ctrl-Alt-F7. Go back again with Ctrl-Alt-F8...until if needed...F12.

fehlix
Developer

#10 Post by fehlix »

oops wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:09 pm
fehlix wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:20 am ...The current message might just be misleading the user a bit:
Yes ... And, maybe to be even more accurate, and to show the other possible combinations:
Ctrl-Alt-F7. Go back again with Ctrl-Alt-F8...until if needed...F12.
Yeah, or something like that:
New Switch User Pop-Up Message Proposal, fehlix wrote: This tool allows you to switch to one or more different user without closing down your current session.
To return to the original user, simply press Ctrl-Alt-F7.
Go back to one of the 5 additional user sessions again with Ctrl-Alt-F8, Ctrl-Alt-F9 ... Ctrl-Alt-F12.
To access the 7th or higher user session run this tool again.

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”