[Solved] rootfs & homefs size options missing when live usb created with rufus

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
wellsey

[Solved] rootfs & homefs size options missing when live usb created with rufus

#1 Post by wellsey »

Just something I noticed after having purchased a 32GB usb and trying to create a MX17.1 liveUSB on windows 10 using Rufus. I had the following problem with more than one mx17.1 iso.
After writing the usb and booting it and selecting 'persist_static' I was not offered a list of size options any greater than 4GB to create either rootfs or homefs. Even when I selected the default option an error appeared saying the fs had not been created, MX booted but the persistance was obviously not working.

Eventually I wrote the Iso with MX's own linuxUSB maker tool and I got the full list of size options to maximize the use of the 32GB and the persistance is now working.
Just thought I'd mention as it could be the sort thing that puts off new linux users eg. me.
The usb drive was a sandisk ultra flair usb 3.0 written on a laptop with a usb 2.0 port
Last edited by wellsey on Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There's no limit to what he can do. He could destroy the Earth... If anything should happen to me you must go to Gort, you must say these words, 'Klaatu barada nikto', please repeat that."

Dell Latitude E4310 I5 8GB 256GB SSD

wellsey

Re: rootfs & homefs size options missing when live usb created with rufus

#2 Post by wellsey »

Er? just thought maybe it was formatted fat32 and that enforced the 4GB limit - if so my error
"There's no limit to what he can do. He could destroy the Earth... If anything should happen to me you must go to Gort, you must say these words, 'Klaatu barada nikto', please repeat that."

Dell Latitude E4310 I5 8GB 256GB SSD

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: rootfs & homefs size options missing when live usb created with rufus

#3 Post by dolphin_oracle »

wellsey wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:03 pm Er? just thought maybe it was formatted fat32 and that enforced the 4GB limit - if so my error
That is possible. we actually had small bug in there at one time that implied you could make a 8gb file on fat32 but that of course was doomed to failure.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”