Window buttons drag and drop

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
colin_b

Window buttons drag and drop

#1 Post by colin_b »

When I left Windows a few years ago I initially gave Linux Mint a try. It was nicely polished, but it had one omission - the taskbar buttons couldn't be reordered via drag and drop. This was a deal breaker for me because I like items on the taskbar in a specific order - it makes things so much easier.

I then tried SolydX. After a few days of digging around in the XFCE settings I tripped over the setting which allowed drag and drop for taskbar buttons. I was delighted with this, but I found SolydX's lack of functionality became a major problem, so I bailed on it also.

After doing a lot of digging around I decided MX Linux offered what I wanted, so SoldyX was removed and MX was installed. The first thing I did was move the places bar to the bottom of the screen and enabled drag and drop via the Window Buttons settings in the control panel.
wundow_buttons.png
When I tried MX 17 I was initially dismayed to find the Window Button settings had disappeared from the control panel, but after posting my woes in the forum I was pointed in their direction. The problem is this functionality is extremely obfuscated and I would never have found it if I didn't use this forum (right click places bar > panel > panel preferences > items > double click window buttons).

Am I the only person who finds taskbar drag and drop indispensable? If not would it be possible to have taskbar / places bar drag and drop as an on / off option in MX tweak so that it is easily found by folks who are initially setting up MX?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by colin_b on Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: Window buttons drag abd drop

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

colin_b wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:50 pm Am I the only person who finds taskbar drag and drop indispensable? If not would it be possible to have taskbar / places bar drag and drop as an on / off option in MX tweak so that it is easily found by folks who are initially setting up MX?
quite possibly. thanks for the suggestion!
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

colin_b

#3 Post by colin_b »

Thankyou!

:number1:

Richard

Re: Window buttons drag and drop

#4 Post by Richard »

Changing window buttons to drag & drop
is one of the things I change after a new install of MX.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

Antediluvian

#5 Post by Antediluvian »

colin_b wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:50 pm I initially gave Linux Mint a try ... [snip] ... the taskbar buttons couldn't be reordered via drag and drop. This was a deal breaker for me
For Mint Xfce drag & drop of items in Window Buttons works the same way as MX, that is you have set it in the panel preferences. Also Mint Mate permits drag & drop of items in Windows List (=Window Butons). I don't know about MInt Cinnamon, I never used it.
Am I the only person who finds taskbar drag and drop indispensable?
It is a very useful feature to me, but I can see why others may prefer a different ordering of windows.
Last edited by Antediluvian on Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tascoast

#6 Post by tascoast »

Same here. A useful desktop tweak I always make these days. It's a little obscure, these settings, easy to forget.

Mind you,I quickly change Workspace Switcher to two rows, after setting it to horizontal.
Then I add %P to the panel clock settings for am/pm (good for Orage or Clock). Just %R for 24-hour format I looked up, as a friend wanted this format recently
I prefer Clock actually, since it allows transparent Panel effects (when a transparent background image used) to the full (unchecking Notification Area Show frame).

If you check Show flat buttons in Appearances (above the allow drag and drop options for Window buttons) then only the active button on the Panel will be opaque, the others showing text labels and a clear background.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Inspiron 15 5000-5593- (i7-1065G7) MX 19.2 AHS/MX-21//W10 - Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX-21/MX19/antiX19/Mint 19

colin_b

#7 Post by colin_b »

Antediluvian wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:14 pm For Mint Xfce...
I had Cinnamon installed. It didn't seem to have this function.
tascoast wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:15 pm If you check Show flat buttons in Appearances (above the allow drag and drop options for Window buttons) then only the active button on the Panel will be opaque, the others showing text labels and a clear background.
I also have this button checked.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#8 Post by dolphin_oracle »

colin_b wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:41 pm Thankyou!

coming soon...the entire window-buttons/tasklist gui recreated in MX-Tweak for your convenience.

Thanks for the suggestion!

d.o.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

colin_b

#9 Post by colin_b »

Excellent job!

This will certainly eliminate a lot of head scratching and digging around for settings.

Thankyou devs!

asqwerth
Developer

#10 Post by asqwerth »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:25 pm
colin_b wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:41 pm Thankyou!

coming soon...the entire window-buttons/tasklist gui recreated in MX-Tweak for your convenience.

Thanks for the suggestion!

d.o.

Very cool, D_O!

The one thing I would suggest would be to call the option in MX Tweak "Configure Window Buttons on Panel". I have to admit I never bothered to click on or even explore the Window Buttons because I thought it was referring to the Max/Min/Close buttons found in each window!
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”