MX Tools icons

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
colin_b

MX Tools icons

#1 Post by colin_b »

Both the live USB kernel updater and live USB maker are lacking icons. Is this intentional?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: MX Tools icons

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

colin_b wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:00 pm Both the live USB kernel updater and live USB maker are lacking icons. Is this intentional?

this is probably theme dependent to an extent.

the icon in use is

drive-removable-media-usb

and in our default icon set, as well as many others, its provided. but it looks like it doesn't exist in all sets (adwaita is one example).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

colin_b

#3 Post by colin_b »

That's a bit of a kicker.

Would it be possible to have a complete icon set which is fixed and doesn't change for the tools?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#4 Post by dolphin_oracle »

colin_b wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:50 pm That's a bit of a kicker.

Would it be possible to have a complete icon set which is fixed and doesn't change for the tools?
If you would like an icon to show for the for any theme that is lacking a drive-removable-media-usb icon definition, you can place a symlink to whatever icon you want in /usr/share/pixmaps

for instance

Code: Select all

sudo ln -s /usr/share/icons/Adwaita/48x48/devices/drive-removable-media.png /usr/share/pixmaps/drive-removable-media-usb.png
will get you this in any theme that is lacking the drive-removable-media-usb as long as adwaita theme is installed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Adrian
Developer

#5 Post by Adrian »

Can we always count on adwaita to be on the computer? I could set adwaita icon to be the fallback icon (or I could package an icon and make that the fallback, but I prefer if I just link to it rather than adding it to the package).

colin_b

#6 Post by colin_b »

Adrian wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:48 pm I could set adwaita icon to be the fallback icon
Genius idea :number1:

Just out of curiosity, could this be applied system-wide to eliminate missing icons?

asqwerth
Developer

#7 Post by asqwerth »

colin_b wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:50 pm That's a bit of a kicker.

I am against this.

I like the fact that the more comprehensive icon sets have designed their own icons for (or have assigned existing icons in their theme to) various mx tools/applications. It will also match the look of the rest of your desktop when you apply a particular icon theme.

Example: the monotone icon set

viewtopic.php?p=440014#p440014

I'm fine with setting a fallback icon theme, for cases where the icon theme in play at the moment does not have an icon assigned to a particular MX app.

I thought in any case that the MX tools had fallback icons in /usr/share/pixmaps already.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

colin_b

#8 Post by colin_b »

I agree that the fallback option is best. My initial suggestion was simply an idea.

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”