Formatting USB drive

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
colin_b

Re: Formatting USB drive

#41 Post by colin_b »

fehlix wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:04 pm We just could redefine by a simple changing of an option within a polikit-rule, that a user would not need to enter a password for USB-formating.
I wouldn't recommend this. Here's a scenario:

Father sits at his computer showing his son how to use MX Linux. Phone rings. Father leaves room. Son decides to poke around. "What does the USB formatter do?" Click, click. "Oops." The family photo album has been wiped..

A few seconds typing a password could prevent a lifetime of frustration.

Mauser

#42 Post by Mauser »

colin_b wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:13 pm
fehlix wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:04 pm We just could redefine by a simple changing of an option within a polikit-rule, that a user would not need to enter a password for USB-formating.

Father sits at his computer showing his son how to use MX Linux. Phone rings. Father leaves room. Son decides to poke around. "What does the USB formatter do?" Click, click. "Oops." Shortly afterwards it is discovered a lifetime of photos have disappeared.

:rofl: That's why you make sure the phone is right buy the computer and you keep the require password function. :smile:
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

fehlix
Developer

#43 Post by fehlix »

colin_b wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:13 pm

Father sits at his computer showing his son how to use MX Linux. Phone rings. Father leaves room. Son decides to poke around. "What does the USB formatter do?" Click, click. "Oops." The family photo album has been wiped..

Thats on the data-level e.g. simialr to 2 clicks : rightclick your pictures folder and click delete.
usb-stick-formater are 3 clicks : open, select, confirm
Might be a settings the user can choose. either optional, enable/disable, or Or time-out, like e.g sudo on the cli does also has time-out.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

colin_b

#44 Post by colin_b »

fehlix wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:19 pm usb-stick-formater are 3 clicks : open, select, confirm
Oops, I was a click short :happy:
fehlix wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:19 pm Might be a settings the user can choose. either optional, enable/disable, or Or time-out, like e.g sudo on the cli does also has time-out.
I would personally leave the password enabled as a safety net, but options might be useful for some.

m_pav
Developer

#45 Post by m_pav »

Just caught up on this thread, keep the password, pure idiocy to remove it because a user would poke the finger saying "you (MX) broke this....", but if a password is required, then they have been satiated with all the notifications and warnings, therefore their actions are completely in their own control. Be as wise as a serpent, but as harmless as a dove. Let's not ruin the security and safety aspect of MX with a foolish and rash decision.
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Daily) Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSD, MX_ahs
(ManCave) AMD FX 6100 CPU, nVidia, 8Gb, 3.25TB mixed, MX_ahs
(Spare)2017 Macbook Air 7,2, 8GB, 256GB SSD, MX_ahs

turtlebay777

#46 Post by turtlebay777 »

The 'USB Stick Formatter' on Mint contains a password demand to make the user think 'is this the correct drive I want to format?'

Why fiddle about and remove it just for the reason of making it slightly different?

It just works, don't bugger about with it!

Antediluvian

#47 Post by Antediluvian »

Just wondering ...

Can the (Mint) USB Stick Formatter be improved to add the format choice of exFAT?

exFAT is supposedly optimized for flash drives, doesn't have the 4GB file size limitation of FAT32, and is read/write by PCs & Macs out of the box. Further, unlike some (many?) Linux distros exfat-utils and exfat-fuse are installed by default in MX 17.1.

anticapitalista
Developer

#48 Post by anticapitalista »

Antediluvian wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:03 am Just wondering ...

Can the (Mint) USB Stick Formatter be improved to add the format choice of exFAT?

exFAT is supposedly optimized for flash drives, doesn't have the 4GB file size limitation of FAT32, and is read/write by PCs & Macs out of the box. Further, unlike some (many?) Linux distros exfat-utils and exfat-fuse are installed by default in MX 17.1.
https://github.com/linuxmint/mintstick
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

fehlix
Developer

#49 Post by fehlix »

Antediluvian wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:03 am

Yes. We just need a small adjustment to add this option during build of the tool for MXPI
to provide exFAT, as I have done with my installation. I will provide instructions
for our packageing team, as I've already included this option:
ubs-formatore-exfat.png
:puppy:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#50 Post by dolphin_oracle »

fehlix wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:34 am
Antediluvian wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:03 am

Yes. We just need a small adjustment to add this option during build of the tool for MXPI
to provide exFAT, as I have done with my installation. I will provide instructions
for our packageing team, as I've already included this option:
ubs-formatore-exfat.png
:puppy:
make sure to submit the change upstream to the mintstick folks!
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”