Formatting USB drive

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
tascoast

Re: Formatting USB drive

#21 Post by tascoast »

Spare a thought for Floppy discs..... :happy: There was a utility that allowed a multi disc spanning archive to fit using a slightly larger formatting option, from memory.

I do think format options are something new Linux users might not consider much until the day they suddenly have a need. As mentioned above though, live USB maker tools do typically take care of things for you, regardless of the USB's previous state....most of the time. Disk checking is another side-issue I think MX covers, although I've only used it for a hdd. Kinda workshop spin territory perhaps?

So my take is that emphasis on Gparted in any intro or quick start tips, FAQ etc. would help. That said, if one installs Linux they 'might' already be familiar with Gparted in setting up their machine, pre-install. However, I recall using a tool in MS initially, when dual booting, although I've since dispensed with that option.
Inspiron 15 5000-5593- (i7-1065G7) MX 19.2 AHS/MX-21//W10 - Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX-21/MX19/antiX19/Mint 19

fehlix
Developer

#22 Post by fehlix »

KBD wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:52 pm Most usb creators will write over the old iso install without need to erase or reformat the usb first. I have used gnome-multi-writer in the past to put various iso's on usb sticks (you can just do a single usb stick despite the app's name). Mint and Ubuntu usb creators also will write over old installs on usb sticks. The nice thing about gnome-multi-writer is that it is in the debian stable repo.
Sure. You might just missed the point. A newbie wants his stick back, after having installed e.g. MX Linux,
- just a plain freshly formated data-stick. I explain him how to use gparted, and next day he calls me, he just has formated is hd with gparted, with just one click. And he ask me to help him to get MX Linux back, nice job :eek:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Gordon Cooper

#23 Post by Gordon Cooper »

@ tascoast. Agree with you there, Gparted is a very useful multi-purpose tool when setting up disks and drives.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

tascoast

#24 Post by tascoast »

fehlix wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:52 pm
KBD wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:52 pm Most usb creators will write over the old iso install without need to erase or reformat the usb first. I have used gnome-multi-writer in the past to put various iso's on usb sticks (you can just do a single usb stick despite the app's name). Mint and Ubuntu usb creators also will write over old installs on usb sticks. The nice thing about gnome-multi-writer is that it is in the debian stable repo.
Sure. You might just missed the point. A newbie wants his stick back, after having installed e.g. MX Linux,
- just a plain freshly formated data-stick. I explain him how to use gparted, and next day he calls me, he just has formated is hd with gparted, with just one click. And he ask me to help him to get MX Linux back, nice job :eek:
I agree this could happen. My recent 'teleinstall' was interesting. I skipped the creation of a swap file partition, relying upon the installer to do it, rather than direct old mate to open Gparted....
A simple format utility could create other undesirable outcomes, though perhaps having clearer directions on Gparted is, for the immediate term, desirable? It's very much 'new linux user' territory.
Inspiron 15 5000-5593- (i7-1065G7) MX 19.2 AHS/MX-21//W10 - Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX-21/MX19/antiX19/Mint 19

fehlix
Developer

#25 Post by fehlix »

tascoast wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:00 pm A simple format utility could create other undesirable outcomes, though perhaps having clearer directions on Gparted is, for the immediate term, desirable? It's very much 'new linux user' territory.
Well, this post is about formating USB drives. We have in Test-repo a newbie-proof usb formater in place. Gparted is not the right tool for new linux users just to format an usb stick. They could only destoy the stick but not the system with such a simplistic looking usb-formater. I would even not mention to newbies that they could use gparted to format usb sticks. Just give them a simple tool. As this is the most common questions I got ask from my newbies: "Can you make my stick usable again, as I can't use them anymore ..?"
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Gordon Cooper

#26 Post by Gordon Cooper »

GParted does have plenty of documentation, although it has not been updated for several years. Some simple directions for new users could be useful, will look at drafting
something.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

Mauser

#27 Post by Mauser »

When I was a new user I found GParted feels clunky to use and it still does. It feels like you need to do an extra step that feels unnecessary to require that extra step. It does work well once you figure out how to use it. Clinking on Help does help. As for USB formatting I found formatting to FAT works the best because it will make the USB work on anything. I remember about a year back I formatted a USB to ext4 and when I plugged it into my laptop which had MX Linux on it with the HDD formatted to ext4 the USB couldn't be read. I reformatted the USB to FAT and it worked fine. Also when a USB is formatted to FAT and I add music on it, it works great in my 2017 Forester having hours of music that I like.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

sunrat

#28 Post by sunrat »

Mauser wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:54 pmIt does work well once you figure out how to use it.
You could say that about most things in life. Including how to use life itself! ;)

Mauser

#29 Post by Mauser »

sunrat wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:32 pm
Mauser wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:54 pmIt does work well once you figure out how to use it.
You could say that about most things in life. Including how to use life itself! ;)
Lucky you because I mostly can't say that. :frown:
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

Artim

#30 Post by Artim »

fehlix wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:16 pm We have in Test-repo a newbie-proof usb formater in place. Gparted is not the right tool for new linux users just to format an usb stick. They could only destoy the stick but not the system with such a simplistic looking usb-formater. I would even not mention to newbies that they could use gparted to format usb sticks. Just give them a simple tool. As this is the most common questions I got ask from my newbies: "Can you make my stick usable again, as I can't use them anymore ..?"
Agreed, totally! A nice simple point-and-click formatter is what a newbie needs, and what the mintstick application supplies. Newbie-proof, scared technophobic kid-proof.

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”