MX-Cleanup won't run twice

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
arjaybe

MX-Cleanup won't run twice

#1 Post by arjaybe »

I ran Cleanup from MX Tools and it worked fine. Removed over a GB. Then I tried the check disk usage button to see what it does, and it didn't respond. So,

I closed Cleanup and tried to restart it, but nothing happened after I put in my password.
I tried to start it from the menu and the same thing happened.
I tried it in the terminal, using the command in the menu, and got this, also after the password prompt:

Code: Select all

$ su-to-root -X -c mx-cleanup
kdesu(7395)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::KDESuPrivate::KCookie::getXCookie: No X authentication info set for display ":0" 
kdesu(7395)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::PtyProcess::exec: [ ../../kdesu/process.cpp : 293 ]  Running "/bin/su"
kdesu(7395)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::SuProcess::ConverseSU: [ ../../kdesu/su.cpp : 259 ]  Read line "Password: "
kdesu(7395)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::KDESuPrivate::KCookie::getXCookie: No X authentication info set for display ":0" 
kdesu(7395)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::PtyProcess::exec: [ ../../kdesu/process.cpp : 293 ]  Running "/bin/su"
kdesu(7395)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::SuProcess::ConverseSU: [ ../../kdesu/su.cpp : 259 ]  Read line "Password: "
kdesu(7395)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::PtyProcess::WaitSlave: [ ../../kdesu/process.cpp : 379 ]  Child pid 7405
kdesu(7395)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::SuProcess::ConverseSU: [ ../../kdesu/su.cpp : 259 ]  Read line ""
kdesu(7395)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::SuProcess::ConverseSU: [ ../../kdesu/su.cpp : 259 ]  Read line "kdesu_stub"
kdesu(7395)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::PtyProcess::WaitSlave: [ ../../kdesu/process.cpp : 379 ]  Child pid 7408
kdesu(7395)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::SuProcess::ConverseSU: [ ../../kdesu/su.cpp : 259 ]  Read line ""
kdesu(7395)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::SuProcess::ConverseSU: [ ../../kdesu/su.cpp : 259 ]  Read line "kdesu_stub"
So, it worked fine the first time, and not since. I haven't tried loging out or restarting, but I suspect that would work.
Green Comet
Space particles.

fehlix
Developer

Re: MX-Cleanup won't run twice

#2 Post by fehlix »

arjaybe wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:22 pm I ran Cleanup from MX Tools and it worked fine. Removed over a GB. Then I tried the check disk usage button to see what it does, and it didn't respond.
So, it worked fine the first time, and not since. I haven't tried loging out or restarting, but I suspect that would work.
1. Have you changed your root password recently, it might lookup on old which is
saved within kde password-store.

2. Re Disk-Usage-Analize not showing up:
Would you mind checking my patched version, which I've attached within another thread yesterday
viewtopic.php?p=451661#p451661 ,
as I'm hopping to fix this by the patch.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#3 Post by dolphin_oracle »

I think the /tmp cleanup is too aggressive. it deletes anything in /tmp, including files that are in use (pulseaudio, mx-usb-umounter lockfile and the gksu cache).

also, the /tmp cleanup *should* be unnecessary as /tmp is supposed to be cleared at shutdown.

I think this is the "root" of the problem. trying running without deleteing /tmp, and I think you'll find that things work much better, including running the disk usage analyzer and running the app more than once.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

arjaybe

#4 Post by arjaybe »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:07 pm I think the /tmp cleanup is too aggressive. it deletes anything in /tmp, including files that are in use (pulseaudio, mx-usb-umounter lockfile and the gksu cache).

also, the /tmp cleanup *should* be unnecessary as /tmp is supposed to be cleared at shutdown.

I think this is the "root" of the problem. trying running without deleteing /tmp, and I think you'll find that things work much better, including running the disk usage analyzer and running the app more than once.
Sounds good, DO. I'll check next time I boot.
Green Comet
Space particles.

Richard

#5 Post by Richard »

tmp may be the reason.
I've found that it won't run after removing everything
because there's nothing to show.

Wait a while and try it again.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

Adrian
Developer

#6 Post by Adrian »

I push a update to the package that doesn't clean /tmp. It should be in the repos already or soon.

greywolf

#7 Post by greywolf »

Adrian wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:51 pm I push a update to the package that doesn't clean /tmp. It should be in the repos already or soon.
I haven't seen the code Adrian, but, I was wondersing if a compromise could work? For those that reboot their machine only very occasionally, kernel update and such, cleaning /tmp can be advantageous.

Would it be feasible to put a time parameter on the remove code to "say" only cleanup files in /tmp that are more than 7 days old?

Thanks for the great work btw,
greywolf.
It is about the Dragons - it was always about the Dragons!

Adrian
Developer

#8 Post by Adrian »

That's a good idea to delete only old files, but isn't /tmp supposed to be cleaned up at reboot, if the computer was not rebooted than even "old" temp file might be somewhat relevant to whatever you run. Not sure... will think about it.

fehlix
Developer

#9 Post by fehlix »

Adrian wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:16 pm That's a good idea to delete only old files, but isn't /tmp supposed to be cleaned up at reboot, if the computer was not rebooted than even "old" temp file might be somewhat relevant to whatever you run. Not sure... will think about it.
Cleaning tmp-file within /tmp needs certainly to be considered,
esp. for users not booting often but utilising e.g. supend
over a longer period off time as only during boot /tmp will be cleaned.

I wonder if we just might use debians provided tool like tmpreaper for this.
Default is to delete files older than 7 days in /tmp.
After installer tmpreaper just the first run user warning flag needs
to be commented out within /etc/tmpreaper.conf , eg with

sed -i -e 's/^SHOWWARNING/#&/' /etc/tmpreaper.conf
and the /tmp cleaning process will be done automatically daily
without need for rebooting.

Tmpreaper Description

# LANG=C apt  show tmpreaper 2>&- | grep -A8 Description

[b]Description: [/b]cleans up files in directories based on their age
 This package provides a program that can be used to clean out temporary-file
 directories.  It recursively searches the directory, refusing to chdir()
 across symlinks, and removes files that haven't been accessed in a
 user-specified amount of time.  You can specify a set of files to protect
 from deletion with a shell pattern.  It will not remove files owned by the
 process EUID that have the `w' bit clear, unless you ask it to, much like
 `rm -f'.  `tmpreaper' will not remove symlinks, sockets, fifos, or special
 files unless given a command line option enabling it to.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Adrian
Developer

#10 Post by Adrian »

That's an interesting tool, I wonder if it's not better to have it installed by default on MX. I'm a bit worried to remove warnings, I guess they serve a purpose...

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”