Converting tar.gz to deb files

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
colin_b

Converting tar.gz to deb files

#1 Post by colin_b »

I've just had a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvdaYGX1D-o and it says in a strange language that tar.gz can be easily converted to deb files using Alien https://sourceforge.net/projects/alien-pkg-convert/, and it shows you how it is done.

It strikes me this would be a simple and useful feature for MX if it could be applied - when a tar.gz is right clicked the menu includes something like "convert to deb file," and when this is selected Alien is called and a deb file appears out of the ether.

This would eliminate the need for terminal use.

Gordon Cooper

Re: Converting tar.gz to deb files

#2 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Looks to be a bit dated? No recent web site activity.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

timkb4cq
Developer

#3 Post by timkb4cq »

That capability of alien is designed to convert Slackware .tgz files to deb or rpm files.
Slackware tgzs are precompiled binary packages in a standard directory format. Most tar.gz files are not this sort, but rather are source code that needs to be compiled. Alien is useless for those.

Even in the cases where alien works, it generally doesn't account for the dependencies you may need to install to get the program to run.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

uncle mark

#4 Post by uncle mark »

timkb4cq wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:40 pm That capability of alien is designed to convert Slackware .tgz files to deb or rpm files.
Slackware tgzs are precompiled binary packages in a standard directory format. Most tar.gz files are not this sort, but rather are source code that needs to be compiled. Alien is useless for those.

Even in the cases where alien works, it generally doesn't account for the dependencies you may need to install to get the program to run.
Talk about a buzz kill... sheesh.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

timkb4cq
Developer

#5 Post by timkb4cq »

Nuh-uh! Wasn't me. Debian Buzz hit EOL over 20 years ago - before I ever even tried linux.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

colin_b

#6 Post by colin_b »

timkb4cq wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:40 pm That capability of alien is designed to convert Slackware .tgz files to deb or rpm files.

I guess I'll chalk this up as a bad idea.

It would have been useful if it worked.

:frown:

asqwerth
Developer

#7 Post by asqwerth »

If it were so easy to make packages, there would be no need for the Packaging Team! :p ;)
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”