Thumbnail directory`

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
colin_b

Thumbnail directory`

#1 Post by colin_b »

I was just digging around on my computer when I came across the .thumbnails directory.

Here's the properties of the directory - 23662 items, totalling 272.0 MB :eek:

Looking through the directory it seems every thumbnail that has been created since I installed MX is in this directory. This wastes a lot of disk space and could potentially be a security hole for some users. Would it be possible to clear this directory upon shutdown?

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: Thumbnail directory`

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

Check out MX User Manager > Free Up Space
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

fehlix
Developer

#3 Post by fehlix »

If you do not like or use thumbnails. e.g. with Thunar for preview, you might consider to turn tumbler service off.
Otherwise simply cleaning that thambnail folder will have tumbler to regenrate all used thumbnails again.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

colin_b

#4 Post by colin_b »

Jerry3904 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 6:24 pm Check out MX User Manager > Free Up Space
This is a hidden gem, I would never gave found it. It would be easily found if it was a separate tool.

fehlix
Developer

#5 Post by fehlix »

Actually I was wrong, the tumbler generated thumbnails used by Thunar are within ~/.cache/thumbnails.
The ~/.thumbnails directory will be used by any app which needs to present thumbnails.
Cleaning older cache and/or thumbnails might be a good idea for weekly/daily/showdown jobs.
I'm sure this is somewhere in place, waiting to be turned on.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Jerry3904
Administrator

#6 Post by Jerry3904 »

colin_b wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 6:47 pm
Jerry3904 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 6:24 pm Check out MX User Manager > Free Up Space
This is a hidden gem, I would never gave found it. It would be easily found if it was a separate tool.
Sure, but then we would have 1,000 tools hanging around. We depend on the user looking around or reading to find all the hidden gems...
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

cyrilus31

#7 Post by cyrilus31 »

colin_b wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 6:47 pm
A good toolbox is not one that can display everything inside but it is when you can easily guess where all those tools are. Hope you can understand what I mean ;)

colin_b

#8 Post by colin_b »

As a footnote, would it be possible for Free Up Space to have the option of running a clean at startup via a checkbox? I can see this being really useful for a lot of people. It would eliminate a lot of unnecessary system bloat.

amgpuma

THUNAR NOT SHOWING THUMBNAILS

#9 Post by amgpuma »

Hi there,
Not sure if this is offtopic, tried to create a post/topic from scracth but to be honest didn't see the option/shortcut to do it.
Trueth is I installed MX Linux 17.1 on an old imac itel 7.1 everything works fine out of the box, had no issues at all with hardware integration, memmory consumption is fair at iddle <10% of my 4gb RAM which is good. fter installation I tweaked and customized the desktop by adding some window themes & icons themes as well as adding & removing some software, everything was still fine. The only remarkable issue came to laucnh GIMP, sound like for th newst version 21.10.2 tehre were an old libbal version installed instead of the necessary for thata version. SOrt out the porblem by googleing for the updated pckage and installed it. GIMP launched sharp fatre that. Once it was clear I wanted to use this OS I move in some backed up folders and thats where the problem with thumbnails (non) shown pops up.
I switch to ALWAYS at Thunar prepferences, installed some "missing" libraries goodies and re-installed all tumbler and or any thumbnails related packages but the proble still there, unable to see any thumbnail for either audio, video or image. I'm not a linux newbie, hav been using debian based distros for about almost 10 years now but I'm desperate with this story. I really appreciate if you can assit me as I wanted to keep MX Linux as my primary and sole desktop.

cheers

amgpuma

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”