Start icons

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
colin_b

Start icons

#1 Post by colin_b »

I set up MX 17 on my friend's computer yesterday. One thing would be useful for easy customization, and that's a selection of custom start icons preloaded into the distro. I've seen some around the forums, could these be used?

rich

Re: Start icons

#2 Post by rich »

That could be cool, if you haven't seen them there's quite a few over on the website available for download, too https://mxlinux.org/user-contributed-icons

colin_b

#3 Post by colin_b »

I knew I'd seen them somewhere :eureka:

It would be great if they can be applied "out of the box".

asqwerth
Developer

#4 Post by asqwerth »

rich wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:48 pm That could be cool, if you haven't seen them there's quite a few over on the website available for download, too https://mxlinux.org/user-contributed-icons
Look through this thread for all of Antechdesigns' Start Buttons for MX.

viewtopic.php?f=116&t=42449&start=60

The last 2 pages, especially, have very pretty MX start buttons in a whole range of colours.

Presently I don't think they can be applied OOTB because:

1. to do so you would need to have all of these icons on the default iso;

2. The Start button is actually the Whisker Menu program, which is added to the panel as an applet/launcher item. If you want to specify what icon is displayed on the panel for the Start button applet, you have to right click on it, go to Properties (I think) and manually change the icon displayed by selecting any icon that is saved somewhere. I'm not sure if that could be automated even further, although I could be very wrong.

It's not really like XFCE Appearance settings for applying a general icon set or gtk theme for the whole system.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

colin_b

#5 Post by colin_b »

I am simply looking at the start menu icon, not a theme.

It would be incredibly useful to have a good mix of icons for the start icon upon installation, and the desired icon can be easily selected. It seems a shame to have a mountain of good icons on the website because they will be missed by users who don't come to forums.

If adding extra bloat to the distro is a concern then I'll try and ease your worries.

I've got some image optimization software, and it does a great job of reducing the file size of images. I have tested a couple of start icons and found their size reduced from >20KB to ~2KB. The optimized images produced are indistinguishable from originals. I would post an example, but I can't figure out how to post an image :confused:

I will be happy to optimize start icons I can find on the website and forward them on if you so desire. They will offer users plenty of choice without adding to the distro size.

fehlix
Developer

#6 Post by fehlix »

colin_b wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 8:27 pm ...
I would post an example, but I can't figure out how to post an image :confused:
When you write a post click below Preview / Submit the field "Attachments" and than Add File.
Further you can choose display inline :puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

colin_b

#7 Post by colin_b »

with kind permission of antechdesigns < www.opendesktop.org/member/455534/ > (pursuant to Creative Commons Licence)

You're a genius :happy:

Here's an example of optimization.

Original image:
MXStart2.png
Optimized image:
MXStart2_opt.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

colin_b

#8 Post by colin_b »

Doh!

I attached 2 images and only one posted.

I'm not very good at this. :embarrassed:

fehlix
Developer

#9 Post by fehlix »

colin_b wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:03 pm I attached 2 images and only one posted.
We do currently of a bug in the system. If you post more than one image, do not preview ;=), just submit!
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

colin_b

#10 Post by colin_b »

with kind permission of antechdesigns < www.opendesktop.org/member/455534/ > (pursuant to Creative Commons Licence)

OK, last attempt.

Original image:
MXStart2.png
Optimized image:
MXStart2_opt.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”