Start icons

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: Start icons

#31 Post by Jerry3904 »

colin_b wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:41 pm As a footnote, I had a dig around and found the MX wallpapers that come with the distro. There are 12 files, one is a JPG and the rest are PNG files, and the total size of the files is 20.3MB. I converted the PNG files to JPGs and did optimizations which reduce file size but not quality, and the resultant size of the 12 files is 2.8MB.

Do you want the optimized JPG files?
We would like to see them, thanks. That would be great. Could you PM Stevo with that info?
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Stevo
Developer

#32 Post by Stevo »

Are you using the jpg optimization packages available in the repo?

Have you tried guetzli, which is pretty slow but is supposed to be good, too? We have in the MX 15 test repo, but not in the MX 17 yet (fixing that right now).

Edit: Here are MX 17 packages: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1W5Axb ... 5cmkKuxYwU

I converted the png images in the MX manual to jpgs and ran those through optimizers back in the days when we were fighting to stay at 700 MB, but I'm haven't been packaging that or the artwork for a while. Theme packages were the closest. Maybe I can shrink some jpg wallpapers in the new komorebi package, though--check that out in the test repo for some animated wallpapers, too.
Last edited by Stevo on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#33 Post by dolphin_oracle »

I'm going to add here that the artwork packages are all hosted in our github.

mx17-artwork
mx16-artwork
mx15-artwork

and are also available in the wallpapers section of MX-Packinstaller->Popular Apps.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

colin_b

#34 Post by colin_b »

Stevo wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:50 pm Are you using the jpg optimization packages available in the repo?

Have you tried guetzli, which is pretty slow but is supposed to be good, too? We have in the MX 15 test repo, but not in the MX 17 yet (fixing that right now).

Edit: Here are MX 17 packages: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1W5Axb ... 5cmkKuxYwU

I converted the png images in the MX manual to jpgs and ran those through optimizers back in the days when we were fighting to stay at 700 MB, but I'm haven't been packaging that or the artwork for a while. Theme packages were the closest. Maybe I can shrink some jpg wallpapers in the new komorebi package, though--check that out in the test repo for some animated wallpapers, too.
I have just downloaded guetzli on MX 16 but I can't get it running. I'll have a try on MX 17 later. It'll have to be good to drag me from Smartsaver Pro though. SSP is one of the few reasons I've got Win7 in a Virtualbox - it is fast, simple and highly effective. The distro wallpapers I optimized have been converted from PNGs to JPGs. The file sizes are significantly smaller, but through some tweaking you'll be hard pressed to see a visual difference.

Can I upload the JPGs to the forum as I have never used Dropbox or Google Drive (I've never had the need to do so).

Stevo
Developer

#35 Post by Stevo »

You could upload them to a third-party site like postimg, too. No signup necessary.

guetzli is command line only...

guetzli inputfile outputfile

colin_b

#36 Post by colin_b »

I will try postimg later, it's really late here (4-30AM).
Stevo wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:54 pm guetzli is command line only...

guetzli inputfile outputfile
Oops, no wonder I couldn't get it to work. I'll stick with SSP because it allows real time comparison of original and optimized images.

colin_b

#37 Post by colin_b »

The optimized wallpapers are at https://postimg.cc/gallery/13czo6jo8/

colin_b

#38 Post by colin_b »

with kind permission of antechdesigns < www.opendesktop.org/member/455534/ > (pursuant to Creative Commons Licence)

I've optimized the login images. Unlike the wallpaper images I went for compression over quality since they are only seen briefly. The images have been slightly softened to increase compression. The total file size has been reduced from 2.3MB to 527KB.

The login images are at https://postimg.cc/gallery/dppf3us8/

colin_b

#39 Post by colin_b »

Just out of curiosity, are the optimized images useful?

I don't want to waste yours and my time doing more if they aren't needed.

rich

#40 Post by rich »

What I think is cool is that you had an idea, brought it up, and now it's reality.

Code: Select all

$ apt show mx-icons-start
Package: mx-icons-start
Version: 18.05.01
Priority: extra
Section: xfce
Maintainer: dolphin oracle <dolphinoracle@gmail.com>
Installed-Size: 262 kB
Download-Size: 217 kB
APT-Sources: http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo stretch/main amd64 Packages
Description: additional start menu icons
I love that about opensource, and this distro in particular, very accessible. I'll leave it to those more closely involved to comment on the optimized images, but I know I know I don't mind saving a few Mib here and there! Thank you for your contributions
:yourock:

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”