Compton compositor query

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
colin_b

Compton compositor query

#1 Post by colin_b »

I had no problems with Compton on MX 16.

I have just noticed that Compton has been updated to a beta version. Could the update be the reason why I've had blank screen issues on MX 17?

viewtopic.php?f=97&t=41878&start=10#p440960

rich

Re: Compton compositor query

#2 Post by rich »

colin_b wrote:I had no problems with Compton on MX 16.

I have just noticed that Compton has been updated to a beta version. Could the update be the reason why I've had blank screen issues on MX 17?

viewtopic.php?f=97&t=41878&start=10#p440960
Hard to say, what I can say is I had blank screen problems, too, referenced in the same thread:

viewtopic.php?p=442203#p442203

Assuming you were running compton with the glx options and such from that thread, you could test if it's the same issue I had by running compton from the command line like this:

Code: Select all

compton --backend glx --paint-on-overlay --vsync opengl-swc
If everything's good, you could either run compton like that from xfce's session manager (Session and Startup>Application Autostart), or you could try modifying the compton-launch.sh script as I described in my post. Just be aware if the mx-tweak package is updated, that would overwrite your modifications.

I found running compton from xfce session gui worked best with a slight delay, like so:

/bin/sh -c 'sleep 5; compton --backend glx --paint-on-overlay --vsync opengl-swc &'
FWIW I'm currently running without compton at all because it made my laptop too hot :happybday:

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#3 Post by dolphin_oracle »

you are better off making any adjustments to the ~/.config/compton.conf file. that file is not overwritten at all by mx-tweak if compton.conf exists.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

rich

#4 Post by rich »

dolphin_oracle wrote:you are better off making any adjustments to the ~/.config/compton.conf file. that file is not overwritten at all by mx-tweak if compton.conf exists.
I agree, absolutely. The issue I was running into unfortunately had to do with the command line flags used in the launch script, so my option was either alter the script or launch compton without it.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#5 Post by dolphin_oracle »

rich wrote:
dolphin_oracle wrote:you are better off making any adjustments to the ~/.config/compton.conf file. that file is not overwritten at all by mx-tweak if compton.conf exists.
I agree, absolutely. The issue I was running into unfortunately had to do with the command line flags used in the launch script, so my option was either alter the script or launch compton without it.
ah yes! I forgot about the -b thing.

If that works OK for hte OP, I'll make the change to the launch script by default.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

colin_b

#6 Post by colin_b »

Thanks for the info.

My point about the original post is the compositor has been updated to a beta version. Since the original version worked flawlessly on MX 16 regardless of the startup parameters I set for it I am wondering if the newer version has some bugs which are causing the output problems. If so, would it be possible to revert to the stable version to avoid user headaches?

rich

#7 Post by rich »

colin_b wrote:My point about the original post is the compositor has been updated to a beta version. Since the original version worked flawlessly on MX 16 regardless of the startup parameters I set for it I am wondering if the newer version has some bugs which are causing the output problems. If so, would it be possible to revert to the stable version to avoid user headaches?
Well, for what it's worth, compton in MX 16 was labeled beta as well:

demo@mx1:~
$ uname -a
Linux mx1 4.7.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 #1 SMP MX 4.7.8-1mx16+3 (2017-02-23) x86_64 GNU/Linux
$ apt-cache policy compton
compton:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 0.1~beta2-1
  Version table:
     0.1~beta2-1 0
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie/main amd64 Packages
$ 
You could probably grab that package from the Jessie repo and see if it works any better for you, keeping in mind potential compatibility issues of mixing archives. Have you tried setting compton to run with whatever parameters you like from the xfce autostart menu? That may help pinpoint what's causing the output problem.

colin_b

#8 Post by colin_b »

rich wrote:You could probably grab that package from the Jessie repo and see if it works any better for you, keeping in mind potential compatibility issues of mixing archives. Have you tried setting compton to run with whatever parameters you like from the xfce autostart menu? That may help pinpoint what's causing the output problem.
I'm not going to try the Jessie version because it can cause more woes.

My problem with Compton is it works fine when initially enabled, but when I reboot I've got a blank screen with the message "no signal" displayed. I initially thought it was because I changed xfce autostart parameters, but I found even if these were untouched I still had the same problem.

rich

#9 Post by rich »

colin_b wrote: My problem with Compton is it works fine when initially enabled, but when I reboot I've got a blank screen with the message "no signal" displayed. I initially thought it was because I changed xfce autostart parameters, but I found even if these were untouched I still had the same problem.
How are you enabling it? MX Tweak or xfce's Session and Startup?

colin_b

#10 Post by colin_b »

I tried both with the same result.

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”