Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

nvidia installer not working

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: nvidia installer not working

#21 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Stevo wrote:It's in the test repo now, and it fixed the upgrade problem in my test virtual machine. Can you confirm?
simulation run seems to work OK here. I think you've probably got it. :number1:
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Stevo
Developer

#22 Post by Stevo »

dolphin_oracle wrote:
Stevo wrote:It's in the test repo now, and it fixed the upgrade problem in my test virtual machine. Can you confirm?
simulation run seems to work OK here. I think you've probably got it. :number1:
The problem package showed up after I had dug down a few layers with the command line installs, as I thought it might. It's a pretty good method.

mxuserjohn

#23 Post by mxuserjohn »

Hi guys. Thanks for the investigation. I just reloaded MX fresh on this laptop again, just applied any updates and then ran the NVidia installer. It worked this time :-)

However, a couple of things I noticed - not sure if there is something wrong with the driver, or a version issue or what, but as per the attached screenshot, you can see when I try and run primusrun, it does work but it generates an error first "/usr/bin/primusrun: line 41: warning: command substitution: ignored null byte in input"

Also - the performance has dropped dramatically. In the top Terminal window, I was running Compton as the compositor, and in lower Terminal window, I was using XFWM compositor. Both times glxgears seems to max out at 40 FPS. In the past, this was steady at 60 FPS. Any idea why I lost 20+ FPS?

Thanks
John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stevo
Developer

#24 Post by Stevo »

Since it appears for both your Intel and Nvidia driver, I would say that that the Nvidia driver has nothing to do with your results. Maybe it's the compositor...what happens with no compositor running?

Also, to get better results with the Intel driver, unsynced from the screen refresh:

Code: Select all

vblank_mode=0 glxgears
But glxgears is a very poor benchmark; instead install virtualgl from the test repo and run "glxspheres" on 32-bit and "glxspheres64" on 64-bit.

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”