Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

Distrowatch review grumbles

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Mauser

Re: Distrowatch reveiw grumbles

#131 Post by Mauser »

colin_b wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:56 pm
Version: 17.1
Rating: 3
Date: 2018-11-23
Votes: 0

Pros: fluid, low energy consumption, snapshot.

Cons: unstable and fragile in depth; problems periodically.
I spend my time adjusting the booties, which degrades my productivity.

I advise you to come by for a rkhunter from time to time to see what I'm talking about...

N.B.: Firewall activated and well adjusted. Clamav, no downloads outside Synaptic, well secured firefox (Noscript, HTTPSeverywhere, UBlock Origin, Privacy Badger), Apparmor active.

I have not had any security problems elsewhere (Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora, CenOS). Fluidity is certain, but not at the expense of essential things. There you go.
I have got no idea what this is review is talking about.

:confused:
The review sounds like it was written by someone who is 6 beers short of a 6 pack.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

skidoo

#132 Post by skidoo »

[redacted]
(and PM sent, instead)

Stevo
Developer

#133 Post by Stevo »

I went by that reviewer's place to pick up the rkhunter as invited, but they wouldn't answer the door.

"Where's my free rkhunter?" I shouted while pounding the door. "I can hear you in there! You can't just post
I advise you to come by for a rkhunter from time to time to see what I'm talking about...

and then not deliver!" I screamed as I rammed into the door with my shoulder, breaking the lock. Like Venom in that movie, I fluidly slipped through the five cm gap opened up, and spied the OP as he tried to escape out the back door. That effort was doomed to fail, as his ill-fitting booties, part of the onesie he was wearing, slipped off his feet and he tumbled headlong down the stairs.

"Dammit!" he screamed as he ripped the booties off and flung them at me. "I kept adjusting those, now where's my productivity?" Then his eyes opened wide as my symbiote's tentacles whipped around his neck and we loomed over him.

"Now can we have our rkhunter?" we rumbled. "And then we'll talk about that Distrowatch review..."

(to be continued)

Stevo
Developer

#134 Post by Stevo »

The OP writhed free and ran around the street in front of his house, but froze as the neural toxin that the tentacles had injects paralyzed everything below his neck. He stared at the van driver with a mute appeal for aid crawling across his face. We then stunned the van and cart drivers with sonic waves to avoid any witnesses. The OP's face was a masque of horror as, without his volition, his body marched backwards to where we awaited.

https://boingboing.net/2018/11/22/holid ... -a-st.html

Stevo
Developer

#135 Post by Stevo »

Hmmm...another one that seems to spread FUD without providing any specifics, IMO. What's messy? Can you provide examples so those can be fixed? Nope...just gonna provide a poor review at DW.
Version: 17.1
Rating: 7
Date: 2018-11-26
Votes: 0

MXLinux is good for laptops with basic linux users who want something
that looks decent and runs fast. But once you get into the advanced customization,
you'll find that MXLinux is very messy.

I started using MXLinux hoping it would be the perfect os, as customizable
and sane as gentoo, but already configured for desktops. MXLinux did not live up
to my expectations.

asqwerth
Developer

#136 Post by asqwerth »

Hard to know if they are referring to visual customisation or generally tweaking the system (since he says that Gentoo is very customisable and sane!).

Could be general dissatisfaction with xfce, or just a Debian vs Gentoo thing?
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

PPC

#137 Post by PPC »

@Stevo - your posts about the way you and your simbiont dealt with the "bootie" poster was as priceless has that DW review.
I'm glad it's not just me wondering about what he/she refered as "booties". Maybe the Grub "boot"(ie) menu? I'm not a native English speaker, so I'm aware how easy it sometimes is to make a monumental mistake writing in anything other than my native language... So I'll give the guy (or gal) some slack... Once you post a DW review it's set in stone, you can't edit it...
At least it provided a fun read

P.

rich

#138 Post by rich »

Stevo wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:33 pm I went by that reviewer's place to pick up the rkhunter as invited, but they wouldn't answer the door...
Stevo wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:46 pm ...his body marched backwards to where we awaited.
Very moving.

Audio version of this masterpiece https://vocaroo.com/i/s17MEjUGNGok

j2mcgreg
Global Moderator

#139 Post by j2mcgreg »

Pros: fluid, low energy consumption, snapshot.

Cons: unstable and fragile in depth; problems periodically.
I spend my time adjusting the booties, which degrades my productivity.

N.B.: Firewall activated and well adjusted. Clamav, no downloads outside Synaptic, well secured firefox (Noscript, HTTPSeverywhere, UBlock Origin, Privacy Badger), Apparmor active.

I have not had any security problems elsewhere (Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora, CenOS). Fluidity is certain, but not at the expense of essential things. There you go.
Near as I can tell, this reviewer has muddled a critique of linux with one on laxatives. Someone should tell him not to toke and type at the same time.

Ghost67

#140 Post by Ghost67 »

j2mcgreg wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:32 am Someone should tell him not to toke and type at the same time.
...that is good advice for all reviewers of all things, booties or no. :)

Return to “General”