Distrowatch review grumbles

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Gordon Cooper

Re: Distrowatch reveiw grumbles

#51 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Must be me that is confused, I used http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/mxlinux.org/packages/, and got this:
SE.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

Utopia
Administrator

#52 Post by Utopia »

The new Swedish repo seems to be working. The latest packages are from 2018-05-24.
Didn't know about this one, thanks for posting.
Henry

karieho

#53 Post by karieho »

I also noticed the repo problem two weeks ago when I replaced a new motherboard. I reinstalled MX 17.1 and updated the system from Swedish repo. There was only Firefox 58. When I change the repo to Usa I got much more updates and also Firefox 60. After that I downloaded the mounthly iso (March 2018) and burn it to DVD. I installed the system again and now everything went smoothly.

Finland is a very small language area. We have own problems with MX etc. with FeatherPad and Nomacs. They are not yet translated in finnish. I use Leafpad and Ristretto instead of them.

colin_b

#54 Post by colin_b »

Another grumble..
The latest version of of MX (or AntiX) won't install on my HP Stream (issues with the emmc "hard drive") and on my desktop fails to recognize the video card properly ( AMD Radeon RX 550 ); which is staggering in this day and age. This causes unacceptable performance issues and make me feel like it's Linux 1998 with HW support.

I've been using Linux since '96 and could probably resolve these issues with a bit of time, but with a plethora of choice around its easier to install another distro.

I still rate it a 10 out of 10 because over the years it's been a top notch and under recognized distribution that I think is overlooked way to often. It deserves everyone to check it out, and I'm certain that while I'm not happy with the latest version, this is an exception and not the norm.
Is this a minor issue which only affects a few users?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#55 Post by dolphin_oracle »

colin_b wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:52 pm Another grumble..
The latest version of of MX (or AntiX) won't install on my HP Stream (issues with the emmc "hard drive") and on my desktop fails to recognize the video card properly ( AMD Radeon RX 550 ); which is staggering in this day and age. This causes unacceptable performance issues and make me feel like it's Linux 1998 with HW support.

I've been using Linux since '96 and could probably resolve these issues with a bit of time, but with a plethora of choice around its easier to install another distro.

I still rate it a 10 out of 10 because over the years it's been a top notch and under recognized distribution that I think is overlooked way to often. It deserves everyone to check it out, and I'm certain that while I'm not happy with the latest version, this is an exception and not the norm.
Is this a minor issue which only affects a few users?
the mmc thing is fixed in the current installer.

can't say about the desktop video card. we use the open source amd drivers .
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

colin_b

#56 Post by colin_b »

Deserves 10 points, but

The 2 things that make me return to Fedora (which I also like), are:
- Under Antix kernels (test), firefox does not work; blank page.

- No up-to-date CPU microcode to mitigate CVE-2018-3640 [rogue system register read] aka 'Variant 3a' vulnerability

- And, No update to mitigate CVE-2018-3639 [speculative store bypass] aka 'Variant 4' vulnerability.
Have these points been mentioned in the forum?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#57 Post by dolphin_oracle »

colin_b wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:14 pm
Deserves 10 points, but

The 2 things that make me return to Fedora (which I also like), are:
- Under Antix kernels (test), firefox does not work; blank page.

- No up-to-date CPU microcode to mitigate CVE-2018-3640 [rogue system register read] aka 'Variant 3a' vulnerability

- And, No update to mitigate CVE-2018-3639 [speculative store bypass] aka 'Variant 4' vulnerability.
Have these points been mentioned in the forum?

no, but the intel microcode is patched for both I think. the debian 4.9 kernel is patched for the other. our 4.15 likely won't be, but steveo keeps backporting the debian-backports kernels, so they might be patched. the main issue is the moving target on building dkms modules. its the tradeoff of using the non-default debian kernel.

as to the antiX kernels and firefox, the OP can take that up with antiX. personally I don't buy it as I run firefox on antiX all the time.

"Deserves a 10" but gives it a 1. OK, moving on. There are other numbers, like 7, 5 and 3 just to name a few. :p
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#58 Post by Jerry3904 »

I agree. I've seen a number of these "it ain't Fedora" and consider them all trolls.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Stevo
Developer

#59 Post by Stevo »

We have a slightly newer 20180807 intel-microcode release in our test repo for now, having been burned once before in the last year with a buggy version. It's also in Stretch-backports...Stretch has 20180703. This person didn't take the time to learn much about MX before bashing it, but we can't help that.

What the heck do antiX kernels have to do with MX? We have plenty of our own updated kernels. Really stinks of troll now--adventurers, be wary! But that's what our success leads to: haters.

Stevo
Developer

#60 Post by Stevo »

Any thoughts about changing this?
Version: 17.1
Rating: 10
Date: 2018-08-20
Votes: 2

In limited use, I find it one of the best, easy to use distros, in what is a rather small collection.

I would be using it full time, except for one thing: they put their superb collection of helper scripts in /usr/local. I have my own large collection of (perhaps not-so-superb) admin scripts which I keep there as well, and I would prefer not to mix them.

In the past, /usr/local was supposed to be reserved for the local installation. Now I know there is presently a geek slap fight going on as to whether that should matter. which I choose to remain silent on.

I'd be happier if MX would either integrate their scripts into /usr (which they probably don't want to do for the same reason), or maybe move them to /opt, although I realize there is likely no best solution.

/usr/distro, maybe? Don't like that either.

Anyway, MX is one of the best distros around right now.
I'm not absolutely certain, but I think Debian policy says that helper scripts can go into /usr/lib/<packagename>, but if they're talking about the ones in /usr/local/bin, they really should be going into /usr/bin instead.

Return to “General”