Distrowatch review grumbles

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Zeh

Re: Distrowatch reveiw grumbles

#81 Post by Zeh »

PPC wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:35 am (...) there's no portuguese version of the manual yet- yes I could help with that but, it's a huge enterprise, it's 150 pages...).
I've started translating the manual into Portuguese some months ago - I've got sections 1 to 4 and 8 - but some difficulties made me stop for a while. Then I've translated icewm and spacefm (not an antix resource on Transfifex - it's an IgnorantGuru resource there - but an antix important component). I'll try to get back to the manual, solve the issues I had, and provide the translations to the coordinators.
Any support will be welcome.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#82 Post by Jerry3904 »

Easiest would be to make use of the GitHub account, where the most recent Manual sections are available as odt files and where there is a "tr" folder that you can use, later making a pull request. Should make a separate thread for this topic.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Zeh

#83 Post by Zeh »

Jerry3904 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:37 am Easiest would be to make use of the GitHub account, where the most recent Manual sections are available as odt files and where there is a "tr" folder that you can use, later making a pull request. Should make a separate thread for this topic.
OK, I'll get in touch when I'm ready.

PPC

#84 Post by PPC »

hi!
Just to let you know that Google Earth auto-updated from MX update... I guess that "con" is stricked out... Too bad I can't point that out on my review on distrowatch. I think it would not be "fair" to do another review and give MX 10 again, just to mention this. I notice that it's ( Google Earth, I mean) prone to crashing (it was even before the auto update). I wonder if that's just a buggy app or something on my system? The android version is rock solid...
Thank you for solving that small annoyance, MX team!

P.

Buck Fankers

#85 Post by Buck Fankers »

PPC wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:48 am I think it would not be "fair" to do another review and give MX 10 again, just to mention this.
Well it would be fair to mention a change. Besides, you can do it in my name, I never posted any review on distrowatch... ;-)

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#86 Post by dolphin_oracle »

PPC wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:48 am hi!
Just to let you know that Google Earth auto-updated from MX update... I guess that "con" is stricked out... Too bad I can't point that out on my review on distrowatch. I think it would not be "fair" to do another review and give MX 10 again, just to mention this. I notice that it's ( Google Earth, I mean) prone to crashing (it was even before the auto update). I wonder if that's just a buggy app or something on my system? The android version is rock solid...
Thank you for solving that small annoyance, MX team!

P.
we don't mind, really. its nice to get stuff pointed out, and you were perfectly honest so no worries!
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

asqwerth
Developer

#87 Post by asqwerth »

There's a post in the comments section of this week's issue of DWW that says MX's RAM usage on startup is 500MB.

Really? I seem to recall mine is around 400MB or slightly less, and that was with autostartup of conky, radiotray, variety and possibly compiz.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Richard

#88 Post by Richard »

RAM usage really depends on what you start at boot and after as well as available RAM.

When I only have <= 2 GB of RAM I am much more reluctant to start (un)necessary services at boot.
With => 8 GB RAM I prefer that services are started at boot and I start apps as I need them.

I am using 571 of 7661 MB after boot with the following started at boot:
CPU Graph, System Load Monitor, Sensor Plugin, Ethernet and Wlan Network Monitors, Dropbox,
MX-Notifier, CherryTree, ClipIt, HPLIP Status Service, Indicator Key-Lock, qBittorrent, redshift-gtk,
audio volume, battery status indicator, MX USB unmounter, DateTime applet, and the Weather Update applet. I'm sure that I could stop many of these from starting at boot but would then have to start most of them from a script. A few would only be started when needed, like the HP Printer status and the qBittorrent, MX Notifier & Unmounter but I'd rather not have to remember or wait for them.

And now after starting up Palemoon, DoubleCommander and making CherryTree visible
I am using 1760 of 7661 MB.

I usually also have >2 LibreOffice document open, as well as VLC media player. After a few hours of use,
I am usually using > 3000 of 7661 MB. I do not have a swap partition or an active conky.
Last edited by Richard on Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

Mauser

#89 Post by Mauser »

Mine runs at 651mb before running everything else. Once I start opening other things it goes up obviously. Right now with Firefox and Thunderbird open I am at 1.09GB. What's the problem with that?
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

colin_b

#90 Post by colin_b »

Can not install on a pure EFI system. USB boots intermittently, tried multiple USB sticks. When in the livedemo gparted keeps saying overlapping partitions. Same disk installs OpenSuse, debian and Mint no problems. I am done
Is this a problem?

Return to “General”